Fly blocks - Fly control

Help Support CattleToday:

LonghornRanch

Reaction score
I have been using the fly control blocks, but my cows eat them way to fast, it's not really cost effective. What do you guys use that is more cost effective?

Do they work for you? I haven't had much luck with them in the past.

im using the fly control blocks.an i have not noticed the cows eating the fire out of them tight now.yes i think they do an will keep the flys off the cows.i got lucky i bought 3 fly blocks for $7.50ea.they was just straight raybon blocks.the next fly blocks i buy will cost nme $12 to $16 ea.i guess b/c they have minerals in them.

We've tried several approaches over the past 5 years: Fly blocks with IGR, wipes, loose IGR in some feed, etc. None were highly effective for us, despite the claims of the manufacturers' labels.

Couple of years ago we switched to the Bio Remedies line of cattle and horse minerals & horse feed. These products have a lot of natural ingredients, including seaweed, that are also anti-oxidant items and lots of good minerals and vitamines. Their manufacturing plant is in Abilene, TX., and their products were formulated by a Ph.D. livestock nutrition chemist. Their delivery route primarily serves TX, OK, Ks and ??. Their man operates out of Garden City, KS. Do a Google search for "Bio Remedies". Products are more expensive than the generic tubs, blocks; however, highly effective (for us anyway). Since we started using their products, our horn fly problem has decreased significantly for both our cattle and horses, not doing near as much hand spraying with fly insecticide on animals that we used to.

Good success with your fly control!

I really like the loose mineral brand I'm using and hate to give it up but it does not have Rabon listed in the ingredients. I'm wondering if I get a Rabon block would it cause the cattle to stop eating the minerals?

Running Arrow Bill":3gdbhfz2 said:
We've tried several approaches over the past 5 years: Fly blocks with IGR, wipes, loose IGR in some feed, etc. None were highly effective for us, despite the claims of the manufacturers' labels.

I put on fly tags, worm, and implant after a month on pasture. It seemed to me that fly tags were less expensive then feed additives or blocks. Did your try them?

Stocker Steve":10y688od said:
Running Arrow Bill":10y688od said:

I put on fly tags, worm, and implant after a month on pasture. It seemed to me that fly tags were less expensive then feed additives or blocks. Did your try them?

We once tried fly tags...didn't last that long. Besides you have to "work" cattle to put them on. Anyhoo...we've been having good success with our fly management program (i.e., Bio Remedies mineral products). And, we routinely de-worm with Ivomec injectible 2X a year, sometimes more frequently on selected animals if any worms suspected. We don't do implants, incidentally, since we're not raising "slaughter beef" and we're a seedstock operation.

Also have a good "visitation" by lots of birds as well as dung beetles that help keep bug problem down. Rarely see any mosquitos since we have annual re-visitations of our "barn swallow herd"...lol. Have nests in/on all of our structures.

We also spray individual cattle as needed with Permectin II for horn/hoof/body flies on a few susceptible animals.

Fly control isn;t a one part deal. It needs to be addressed from multiple angles. Fly wipes/mops, IGR, manure managment and muddy areas all need to be part of the package. If a nearby neighbor doesn;t have some form of fly control it just makes it that much more difficult for you.

dun

Running Arrow Bill":1eq5t0an said:
Stocker Steve":1eq5t0an said:
Running Arrow Bill":1eq5t0an said:

We once tried fly tags...didn't last that long.

We only have a couple summer months between frosts... Maybe fly tags are intended for northern grazers?

Link to Bio Remedies? I do a search, all I get is pages and pages of junk. Does Bio Remedies have a web page? List of dealers?

Not all blocks are alike. Some blocks are designed for 1/2 pound per day intake while others are designed for only 2 oz. daily intake. My experience is that oral larvacides are only part of a good fly control program just like fly tags. Probably need a combination of things to work well. Oral larvacides only help prevent the maturation of fly larva and do not kill flies. Ear tags help keep the flies off the animal. A good plan will outperform a good product.

Hi All,

We are also using the Nutrena mineral w/ IGR along with fly tags (which we have to replace once during the fly season) ivomec 2X yearly & a pour on insecticide.For the first time in years I have to say our cows have very few fies. We have also noticed a lot less around the horses too I guess there are just fewer of them around. The minerals were hard to find however, have to get them special ordered every time.

Latest posts