Flowers in hay field

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
We had a great looking crop of Orchard Grass and Fescue earlier in the year. For various reasons, we haven't been able to mow it yet, and there is an abundance of flowers now in it. From what i can tell, they are called White Aster. Do cows care for these at all? How can we control these next time. Should we spray at some point after we cut this round.

flattoppedwhiteaster2.jpg

Only way to spray a hay field, and do any good, is do it early in the year. I usually wait a week, and half or two, before I spray after a cutting of hay. It gives the weed a chance to sucker out etc.

Bigfoot":3h9qvurs said:
Only way to spray a hay field, and do any good, is do it early in the year. I usually wait a week, and half or two, before I spray after a cutting of hay. It gives the weed a chance to sucker out etc.

You are from KY too; do you have a lot of these in your area?

This year we have a lot of ox-eyed daisys, in the hay the cows haven;t minded them in the past.

No I dont, usually something that makes a flowers, makes a lot of seeds. I'd want that stuff dead.

The only flower type things that I;ve foundthat the cows won;t eat is queen anns lace (wild carrot) and chickory. But I have a neighbor that bales alot of QAL in his hay and he doesn;t sem to have any issues with it. I do notice that a lot of his "hay" is wasted

Latest posts