Flies

Help Support CattleToday:

Slick, I am not recommending that one or any one for that matter, I'm just giving you an option. I have never used one on cattle, just mesquites. The last one I used that could handle diesel got pretty nasty after a dozen or so uses. I don't use them as much as I use to but now I use a cheap one for a few gallons and when it starts spraying me, it goes in the burn pile. I never liked keeping one over the winter.

When they go on sale for about $10, I'll buy two or three. I always have a few spare parts around and a extra wand or two.

elkwc":2f6279fj said:
boondocks":2f6279fj said:
elkwc":2f6279fj said:
I was rotating between Ultra Boss and Ultra Saber. Now I'm buying concentrated sprays with their active ingredients and mixing with mineral oil. So far has worked well and a lot cheaper. Less than $50.00 to spray 190 had including calves. I try to rotate at least every 3rd time I spray. When using the premixed sprays it costs over $150.00 depending on what I used.
Having tried both. we use diesel instead of mineral oil. Cheaper, lasts longer, works better. Downside: cows can smell it more and try to get away.

What kind of time frame are you getting between sprays using diesel. We don't use it because of the smell and it leaves spots on anything it contacts. And if you aren't careful you smell like diesel also. We get 2-3 weeks of good control between sprays. It depends on how much rain we get during that period. Around here haven't heard of any better from those using diesel. So curious what time frame you are seeing.

It seems to be very weather-dependent. But even when dry, we didn't get anywhere near 2-3 wks with mineral oil. We usually saw flies back within a few days! They also didn't scatter immediately like they do with diesel. Haven't noticed a stain (other than on clothes, but we always use it with grubby clothes on anyway). If you're getting 2-3 wks coverage with min oil, more power to you.
Re the sprayer, we use a cheap-ish pump sprayer and (gently; not near eyes) release the pressure when done. I'm sure the sprayers would last longer if we washed them out as suggested above, but we usually have some solution left in it; and we get about 2 yrs out of a sprayer anyway...

I'm being lazy but I like to keep a sprayer at the ready so all I have to do is pump and spray. That's probably my biggest problem in letting them set. Guess I need to change my routine.

sstterry":2l1jcb8q said:
What is the name of the concentrated sprays you are using?

I will look when I get home. I use different brands but the main ingredient is either Pernethrin or Lambdacyhalothrin. If they don't have Piperonyl Butoxide I add it. I bought it in concentrate so just add it. Seems to improve the effectiveness.

elkwc":1yrvdjts said:
sstterry":1yrvdjts said:
What is the name of the concentrated sprays you are using?

I will look when I get home. I use different brands but the main ingredient is either Pernethrin or Lambdacyhalothrin. If they don't have Piperonyl Butoxide I add it. I bought it in concentrate so just add it. Seems to improve the effectiveness.
You have a good mix, I mix PBO8, Lambdacy and corn oil as a pour on. We also spray CO-RAL and diesel a few times a year when needed.

I'm heading out to spend the next 3 days down in west central OK working cattle and selling a few steers. When I return I will post what the fly sprays I use is. I don't feel the brand name means as much as the ingrediants. And if someone has anything that works better please share. I did a lot of searching and couldn't find much. Asked on FB and not much response. So looked at what the pre mixes that I used that worked had and started using products with similar ingrediants. And so far a lot cheaper and results have been satisfactory.

Latest posts