Flies flies flies

Help Support CattleToday:

dt34715

Reaction score
They seem to terrible this year. Using IGR and Justi-fly in my mineral. I had few last year using this along with a back rubs.
Middle TN

The biggest key when using an IGR product is to never let them run out of mineral... just one day without can open you up to a full life-cycle of flies.

dt34715 said:
They seem to terrible this year. Using IGR and Justi-fly in my mineral. I had few last year using this along with a back rubs.
Middle TN

Flies are a multi pronged attack that IGR is a part of. It does nothing for house flies or horse flies that's where the pour on comes in.

The last 3 years we have had flys absolutely terrible. This year they are not quite as bad. Hope it stays that way, but I know better.
Best remedy I found was a fimco spot sprayer with the bigger pump, permethrin, and diesel fuel. With that sprayer you can get them soaked down quickly at 30-40 feet.
I used to use water, diesel is so much more effective.

T & B farms said:
The last 3 years we have had flys absolutely terrible. This year they are not quite as bad. Hope it stays that way, but I know better.
Best remedy I found was a fimco spot sprayer with the bigger pump, permethrin, and diesel fuel. With that sprayer you can get them soaked down quickly at 30-40 feet.

Diesel lasts longer too both with the pump sprayer and the rubs.

greybeard said:
T & B farms said:

Diesel lasts longer too both with the pump sprayer and the rubs.
[/quote

We use corn oil instead of diesel. Works well and more desirable than diesel.

T & B farms said:
I too use a sprayer but a cheap pump sprayer while feeding cubes with peremthrin, diesel and a little water with decent results. This is the first year I have gone the IGR route (wind and rain) and hope it makes a difference.

I'd rather them eat medicated mineral than be routinely sprayed down with diesel. Plus, my wife doesn't complain as much about me smelling like diesel!

elkwc said:
We use corn oil instead of diesel. Works well and more desirable than diesel.

No doubt. I've always wondered if the diesel didn't make their hide hot.
Crop oil of any kind is very hard to find here in containers any bigger than what you see in a grocery store.
I did use some soy or peanut oil on one of my rubs one time and flies were drawn to it like mad. I'm sure most of them were killed but I didn't really see the point or like the idea of making the cattle more of a target than they already are. Maybe I'm missing something..or need to rethink it?

(It's the additives in diesel that I worry about)

To make it last longer use PB-08. It is the synergist in Ultra Boss & Ultra Saber.

Hook2.0 said:
Does the spray lose effectiveness over time while in the diesel mix in the bottle? Seems i can spray one day and the flies are back the next. The diesel also swelled the orings on my pump up sprayer
I had 1 pump up sprayer, that the diesel actually made the tube that the plunger goes in, distort and curve way off to one side.
Found out the hard way, that some are made able to handle petro chemicals, some made just to use water based mixes in.

elkwc said:
To make it last longer use PB-08. It is the synergist in Ultra Boss & Ultra Saber.
Thanks. Had to look it up to find out exactly what it was and how to mix it.
https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/SPEC/LABELS/PBO-8%20Synergist%20Specimen%20Label.pdf
I saw where it is approved for use on livestock, but didn't see a table for tank mixing instructions for direct application to livestock.
For instance...How much PB-08 would you mix in a 4 gal backpack sprayer?

greybeard said:
elkwc said:
Thanks. Had to look it up to find out exactly what it was and how to mix it.
https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/SPEC/LABELS/PBO-

8%20Synergist%20Specimen%20Label.pd

The recipe I use came from a poster on this forum. It says 8 oz of PB-08 to 119 oz of corn oil. So I use around 8 oz per gallon and it works well

Thanks! That's an odd mix rate..1 oz short of a full gallon...wonder why he didn't say 120 oz. (rhetorical question.. )

T & B farms said:
Where could a guy find bulk corn oil? No issues with it clogging up the sprayer?

I use the corn oil, pbo8 and either permithion or lambda Cy mix for a pour on fly control. Never tried spraying it but my guess is you'd have to cut it with diesel fuel.