Flies already?

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I was checking on my cattle today for the first time in about a week and noticed a lot of flies on them that were not obvious a week ago. We only had about 1/2" of rain early last week but with the warmer temperatures it looks like it was enough to bring out the flies. I hate to see flies all over my cattle. So I put up the first rub across the lane to the waterer and doused it real well with diesel/permectrin mix.

This is much earlier (April 11) than I put it up last couple years which as I recall was late May or June 1.

Are others seeing the same thing - flies earlier than usual?

Here's a picture of the rub. I put up the lightest/easiest one to get something up before dark.

IMG_0114_putupfiiestcattlerubofthes.jpg

Too early to start the fly season!

Jim

Noticed some about a week ago. I've been working on fences, haven't taken time to get mine oiled up.

There needs to be a holiday called "Fly Day" where everyone treats their cattle and rotates pastures on the same day. I could be dead wrong but I believe this would help the fly problem more than anything else we could do.

backhoeboogie":2ond2qi0 said:
There needs to be a holiday called "Fly Day" where everyone treats their cattle and rotates pastures on the same day. I could be dead wrong but I believe this would help the fly problem more than anything else we could do.

I'll vote for fly day!

We went from winter weather - light snow/30's to 80's and humidity the next week. Flies are already in force here as well. Hopefully one good thing will come out of the horrible winter we had - less mosquitos...

Jim62":36o0xqhd said:
Anybody have any luck using the suppliment tubs with IGR?

Tubs like that don't do anything for flies on your cattle now, they just hope to reduce the number of flies coming from the manure in the future. In my opinion you need to use something else.

A lot of folks use fly repellent eartags. I don't like them because they have a finite effective period and really should be changed now and then.

Checking my cattle again this evening, they had almost no visible flies on them - looks like the rub worked in a couple days.

Jim

I use the wind & rain with IGR. and they have flies. And i started that before i saw the first fly, also put up the back rubber. Seem to help a little, going to spray them down this weekend. and put up another back rubber. Have not tried the ear tags yet. spraying them every once in awhile , along with the back rubber & IGR seem to help some last year. But i don't think my neighbors does anything so its a battle :cowboy:

RICHARDL":1xjiqkyr said:
I use the wind & rain with IGR. and they have flies. And i started that before i saw the first fly, also put up the back rubber. Seem to help a little, going to spray them down this weekend. and put up another back rubber. Have not tried the ear tags yet. spraying them every once in awhile , along with the back rubber & IGR seem to help some last year. But i don't think my neighbors does anything so its a battle :cowboy:

I find the little strips (I think they are called "flyps") tied to the rubs really help a lot - gets the mix on their faces and sides. Very inexpensive to try. I am surprised in that there are almost no flies on their faces compared to a week ago, pre rub setup and charge. It must be tough when your neighbors have cattle and do nothing to control flies.

I am also convinced that dragging the pastures right after I move them out really helps keep the fly population down. The calving pasture unfortunately has not been dragged since last fall so that may be where some fly pressure is coming from.

Jim

Thanks Jim, After reading a few post about this and rotation grazing, i might do the drag thing after I move them. Ang i'll get the fae flyps as you mention been wanting those. Yea its tough, He is a nice guy but he doesn't do much for his cattle. He's been doing it a lot longer than I, but no minerals no fly control fences in bad shape. Thats him, I do waht i can. :cowboy: