Help Support CattleToday:

medicinewoman":2flmzdzq said:
Common Flies of Cattle
See: http://www.vet.k-state.edu/depts/VHC/ag ... _Flies.pdf

The three main elements to preventing pink-eye are:
1. Vaccination
2. Pasture mowing and pasture rotation
3. Fly control

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

MW

Do you have an axe to grind SL?

Good information and helpful insight is appreciated. There is no way I am knocking your positive addtions to the boards. Mostly just wondering if you are trying to right something.

It is all okay and good. If a knife comes to the back of someone - it aint all okay and good.

backhoeboogie":lip0p56h said:
medicinewoman":lip0p56h said:
Common Flies of Cattle

1. Vaccination
3. Fly control

MW

Good information and helpful insight is appreciated. There is no way I am knocking your positive addtions to the boards. Mostly just wondering if you are trying to right something.

It is all okay and good. If a knife comes to the back of someone - it aint all okay and good.
if it is sirloin,, i spect he's got a shed full of em

ALACOWMAN":1lu3u4w7 said:
backhoeboogie":1lu3u4w7 said:
medicinewoman":1lu3u4w7 said:
Common Flies of Cattle

1. Vaccination
3. Fly control

MW

if it is sirloin,, i spect he's got a shed full of em

Its gotta be him... Talks about the same shyt all the time, he always posts in the same format, and signs MW instead of SL.

Hey MW, Im still wondering how your bottle calves and miniature horses are doing?? :welcome: :compute: :bs:

On another note, where in TN are you SL? I bet you would be one interesting fella to meet..... :help:

Helpful hint:

Spray early and spray often.
If you control the adult flies, you will avoid swarms of new flies.
So spray early at the first sign of flies to keep the number of adult flies under control so there is little egg laying going on.

Spray often to also keep adult flies under control, whether you see flies on your cattle or not.
I recommend spraying on a weekly bases, even if it is only a portion of your herd, as flies move from cow to cow.

As with any living thing. The fewer adults, the fewer the offspring.

MW

KNERSIE":3d0tkk5l said:
Why not start at the root of the cause and select for better protected eyes?

Great post !!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have not had a case of pink eye in 8 years (touch wood) ,do not spray ,do not mow and do not vaccinate . ;-)

hillsdown":x3cyupkg said:
KNERSIE":x3cyupkg said:

Great post !!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have not had a case of pink eye in 8 years (touch wood) ,do not spray ,do not mow and do not vaccinate . ;-)

The last case of pink eye here was about 8 or 9 years ago . I sold the cow and her heifer.

Knersie can you provide a more thorough description for how one should select for better protected eyes? I would like to understand this better. Is this physically or eye pigmentation or both? Thanks.

MO VOL":1mq3ip2q said:
Knersie can you provide a more thorough description for how one should select for better protected eyes? I would like to understand this better. Is this physically or eye pigmentation or both? Thanks.

What is your e-mail address?

KNERSIE":2yuuse46 said:

Low risk and low probability in the first place. Making them even lower is absolutely correct.

For me it is the stress flies cause when they get out of hand.

Latest posts