Educate me on worming, flies etc.Im in desperate need.

Help Support CattleToday:

hicky214

Reaction score
So I have one cow that her 450 lb calf was sold over a month ago she put her all into him. So I have been watching her rebound and she is still down on weight etc coming back slower than I would like. I noticed all of the other cattle are shedding maybe not done but are in the process. She hasn't started so I was told worms. I got her up yesterday which was a chore. And she goat a shot of Ivomec as recommended by my local co op. My dad Bought some powder throw on stuff I am waiting on him to get back to me on this for flies and lice. I treated one yesterday for pinkeye these flies have got to go they are terrible. So do I need to get the cows up or can I do the pour on etc in the fields? I can get close they love there grain. Can I do preg cows, cows with calfs, etc. I need all the info on flies and dewormer. Is now a good time to deworm? Sorry for all the questions. I guess last one is is there a de wormer and fly control in one pour or spray on? Or what do you guys do? Thanks so much

Pour on wormers are fairly ineffective. Better with a wormer drench or injectable. We use Boss pour on for flys, that will buy you about 3 weeks before the problem reoccurs. We use loose minerals with IGR and fly wipes that they have to walk through to reach water. Flys are rarely a problem. Even using a larvacide it won;t really reach it's effectivness for as month, takes that long for the life cycle of the fly to be broken. Depending on the wormer you can do it pretty much anytime, just make sure that none of your cows are in the class that is lilsted on the label to be excluded. In the fall/winter you have to be carefull with and pour ons or wormers that are a grubicide. The grubs/ox warbles are the larvae of the heel fly anf thery migrate trough the connective tissue of the cow as they go from where they enter to where they exit.
Remember for next year that it's easier to get a handle on them before hand then after they become a problem

There are herds all around mine. And herds adjacent to them etc. Flies are an extreme problem every year. You are never sure what neighbors treat with and when they treat.

If I were you I would spray them completely with permethrin. That will get the flies off of them, for now. Spray their undersides and ensure they are completely covered.

Loose mineral with IGR as Dun said would be another immediate remedy I would use.

Fly tags help but they are not enough. They are merely an aid and you need to rotate brands for effectiveness.

Rubs are good. You can buy rolls of burlap pretty cheap at a store that sells sewing materials. Wal-Mart even sells it. I like to put a good soaking material on a post firsts then cover that with burlap. An angled post seems more inviting to them as a rub.

Injectable wormer gives protection but you have to time it correctly for grubs. As Dun said.

Don't think you can treat them and be done with it. Think of it as mowing the lawn. Gotta be done again and again.

Latest posts