Fleckvieh X Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Simmental7

Reaction score
okay i have a question.. lots of people want to make "baldy" calves by Hereford on Angus cows or other way around.. why dont more people do Fleck over an angus cow?? I dont personally do this but i was just wondering

I did it back in the '80s - made great cows and the steers were top-flight. Most of my older cows trace back to those old Fleckvieh-cross cows; several have produced until 18 yrs of age.
Wouldn't hesitate to do it again, if I could find a Fleckvieh bull with the marbling/tenderness I want.

Good question. A Fleckvieh/Angus cross should make a wonderful mama cow, which I would expect would milk better, and thus wean more pounds than the average Hereford/Angus. The Hereford/Angus may work better in areas with less forage (i.e. NV, WY, etc.) where cows have to travel more to get enough to eat. However in areas with more rainfall and thus more grass (i.e. NE, IA, KS, SD, etc.) I would expect the Fleck/Angus cow to be a better option.

Probably one thing that prevents more producer from using Fleckviehs in a breeding program is that there aren't as many producers of Flecks. And even in areas where there may be Fleck breeders, I would expect that many commercial producers aren't really familiar with them. I also wonder how many commercial producers don't realize that a Fleckvieh is simply a strain of Simmental.

UG,

If people want Flecks their are plenty of Fleck and Fleck influenced bulls around. If they aren't in your area then travel to Western Canada.
The big barrier for the use of Fleck cattle is roughly the same as for Full French Charolais: big birth weights and mediocre growth EPDs. Want to AI to a Fleck bull with good EPDs? Check out Wayvern Magnificent: http://www.altabeef.com/SireDirectory/B ... M0601.html

Agreed; while I've not looked extensively at Fleckvieh sires recently, most I've seen have some birthweight about 'em; probably not more than most well-grown mature cows could handle - but not something I'd want to breed to heifers. The 'mainstream' American Simmental breeders have done a great job getting BW down and calving ease up over the past 20+ years, and there are quite a number of good Simmental bulls that are every bit as easy-calving on heifers as the average Angus bull.
I don't care if I never pull another calf; I still want reasonable CE/BW even on sires I use on my mature cows - can't point you at a 'calving ease' full Fleck - they may be out there, I just don't know 'em.

True, I really like those bravo daughters , just be concerned about using the breed in a crossbreeding situation where my cows don't tend to be huge.

Latest posts