Flax seed and similar products

Help Support CattleToday:

ACSBE

Reaction score
I am wondering if anybody can help me. I am trying to find out what other products besides flax seed I could use to improve coat and hair appearance, hoof condition, and create stronger teeth. I would appreciate knowing which products people have had success with in achieving these goals.

There are quite a few horses at the stable I work at that get flax seed, and it seems to work great for them :)

Another product which is supposed to help with the hair coat and hooves is kelp. Apparently it makes to coat better and helps with creating nice hooves. I have never personally used it (my mare never got anything besides salt, but she didn't need it...) Biotin is a supplement which I know of several people who feed and swear by it for tougher hooves. Also look for something with Methionine in it.

If the feet are chipping, and you want to do something in the supplement department about it (as opposed to trimming the feet often...) use something internal and external. Such as flax seed and a hoof paint. No need to buy anythign expensive... I made my own with a 50/50 mix of neatsfoot oil and pine tar, worked great.

And for the coat, some people in the barn I work at add canola oil to their horses' feed. Makes the coat shinier apparently... except the horses that won't eat when there is oil in the feed... (I prefer elbow grease ;) )

As far as teeth... umm... tell your horse to eat less candy and drink a nice big glass of milk a day...

I never used any supplements, but since you asked....

TCFCzipsupflamesuit

I have never used Flax seed, I was always told it can cause choke. They make all kinds of great premixed daily horse supplments carried at any local feed store. I have had the best results for shinny coats with Super 14 made by farnam, It takes a couple months for any change to be seen but it will put a high gloss shine on any horse. Dapples works well also, and is alot less $$$$ ;-) I have to agree with the good old elbow grease.

Apparently we have been lucky, as we have never needed anything besides good quality hay/grass to do everything you are looking for.

Thank you for your help. For those of you who use flax seed supplements, what quantity do you usually buy it in, and how long should that amount last?

I started feeding black oil sunflower seeds about 6 months ago. Hooves are in much better condition than last summer and this year the weather has been drier. Coats are shinier too. I feed 2 cups a day per horse.

Black oil sunflower seeds I have heard from recent discussion work really well.

I have also been informed they make your namure pile look really nice because the waste seeds that end up getting thrown away sprout and you end up with sunflowers in your manure pile ;-)

TCFC

I've had a lot of experience with flaxseed on my horse and it is working great! I make it a point to serve it once a day because that is how I can sustain their health. The improvement on the coat and skin quality is very notable, which is why I have never used anything else.

ACSBE":fqekepu6 said:
I am wondering if anybody can help me. I am trying to find out what other products besides flax seed I could use to improve coat and hair appearance, hoof condition, and create stronger teeth. I would appreciate knowing which products people have had success with in achieving these goals.
See if you can locate some "stabilized rice bran" or a finished product that contains a combination of the stabilized rice bran and ground flaxseed as well as Vitamins and Minerals. It will have a fat content of over 20%. I know Purina makes one as does TDI. Will run about $35 a bag but you just topdress regular feed with a small amount of it.

I would grind the flax seed before you give it to the horse and mix it with the grain. It works better ground, the system absorbs it better and won't waste out.

Latest posts