Fixing to haul bred cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Overuse of antibiotics on people and animals is causing problems. No new antibiotics are being made. There is a shortage of some now. Many bacteria are becoming resistant to the antibiotics that we use so much. I do not take one unless I absolutely have to have it, and I sure do not give them to cows unless a vet says they need one.

No sale barn , straight from their farm to mine.driving Saturday, 350 miles on the road, 40-50 degrees probably in the rain all day; wasn't predicted to rain when I chose this weekend. Temps dropping all day Sunday with lows in the upper teens and highs in mid twenties for Monday. Not much improvement all week. Highs upper 30's- low 40's, lows at night low 30's to upper 20''. These girls have been use to 15-20 degrees warmer than this.

coachg":1gnzavr9 said:
No sale barn , straight from their farm to mine.driving Saturday, 350 miles on the road, 40-50 degrees probably in the rain all day; wasn't predicted to rain when I chose this weekend. Temps dropping all day Sunday with lows in the upper teens and highs in mid twenties for Monday. Not much improvement all week. Highs upper 30's- low 40's, lows at night low 30's to upper 20''. These girls have been use to 15-20 degrees warmer than this.

benign neglect.

coachg":y3icl6ep said:
Trailer have a cover? If it doesn't I think I'd try to rig up some kind of windbreak.

Top is covered, going to rig up tarps on side of trailer to knock some wind off them. Chance of rain has moved later in day, hope to have them in their new pasture by the time it gets here. Can't do a lot for them Sunday as temps fall and it spits snow except keep their bellies full.

Made it home with the 12 cows, 50 degrees for most of the trip, some drizzle but not too much rain. Pouring at the house now and temps will fall all night long with the high around midnight. Lows in 20's with windchill in the teens. A little extreme for N Alabama. Wouldn't swap places with you Northern folks for no amount of money, except maybe the Big Lotto Jackpot !

We did give the cows a shot of antibiotics like my vet recommended . And no, I get my meds from a local stocker who buys in bulk and saved me a little on my meds.

Just saw this but I'd have given them a shot of la300 and saved the drax for if they did have problems.
Would also feed aromicin (sp) or ctc for several days.
Some on here will say I'm wrong but it's what I would do.

Latest posts