Fitz Thanks again.. New product I never seen before

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Fitz I really like that site you gave me. Do any of you all ever use these things? I have never saw them before.

http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/details/ ... 78000.html

Estrotect cow heat detectors help determine when cows are ready to be bred. Economical, simple-to-use, highly effective bovine heat detection aid features "scratch-off" technology for superior results in identifying standing heat.

Silver "scratch" surface is removed via friction each time a cow or heifer is mounted, helping minimize false positives. When more of the fluorescent indicator is visible than the silver surface, the closer the cow or heifer is to standing heat.

Just apply once during breeding cycle. Works 24 hours a day throughout the 21-day heat cycle. When applied correctly, should stay on for up to 8 weeks.

I've been using them and will use two more tomorrow. My only problem with them is they will scratch off on low hanging branches when the cows walk under them. To help stop that I've started using fly spray right after placement so they don't have to rub so much.

I wondered if they worked or just some gimmick product. I have no real use for them just thought they were neat.

I've been using the patches for a year or so now, I like the "hot pink" ones you can see them from a couple hundred yards. They stay on real good and really help when your AI'ing them. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between bushes rubbing and them getting mounted.

And at about a buck a piece they are worth it. When you pull one off there is probably enough hair on it for a genetic "test".

It was nice when I was in Montana last week and a cow that was AI'd an due to recycle while I was gone, I just asked my Daughter to check "Yoh's" tail patch for me. It's still "silver Dad" She's bred to Boyd's New Day 2005 :banana:

The may be a gimmick but they're a gimmick that works. The old K-mar patches weren;t nearly as reliable. A lot quicker to put on then tail head paint.

slick4591":1laa5kpe said:
I've been using them and will use two more tomorrow. My only problem with them is they will scratch off on low hanging branches when the cows walk under them. To help stop that I've started using fly spray right after placement so they don't have to rub so much.

I did a pour on permithon fly treatment at the same time I applied the patches once. Thought I might as well do it because I already had them in the chute. Big mistake, in about 20 minutes all the silver was gone. The pour on got on their switch while they were swatting their back an it was easily wiped onto the patch.

LRTX1":33kkpf4y said:
slick4591":33kkpf4y said:

I did a pour on permithon fly treatment at the same time I applied the patches once. Thought I might as well do it because I already had them in the chute. Big mistake, in about 20 minutes all the silver was gone. The pour on got on their switch while they were swatting their back an it was easily wiped onto the patch.

I spray with Permethrin mixed with diesel and it's been okay so far. Just spray in front of the patch to the shoulders and down to the belly. Now those cedar trees will have them rubbed off in no time, tho. Just need them to last three days to know which ones are standing.

I use them and love them. I would use them on all of my dairy accounts so that I don't have to chalk for six hours a day if it wasn't so cost prohibitive.

slick4591":330sog3w said:
LRTX1":330sog3w said:
slick4591":330sog3w said:

I spray with Permethrin mixed with diesel and it's been okay so far. Just spray in front of the patch to the shoulders and down to the belly. Now those cedar trees will have them rubbed off in no time, tho. Just need them to last three days to know which ones are standing.

I didn't pour it on the patch. The cows got it on their switch by swatting their back then swatting across the patch. Might be a difference in a spray vs. pour on.

The patches do work very well, I just won't put the fly dope on them at the same time.

When a cow goes in heat a lot of times other cows try to mount them. When a cow gets mounted those patches that are stuck on their back just in front of the tail head will turn a bright color. One can simply look out in the pasture an observe which cows are in heat and ready to breed based on the color of the patch. I see no advantage in using patches in natural breeding.

I use them alot. If you dont do straght TAI you can see which ones are in, then after there bred pull the patch and you know those are done.
Day 17 after breeding i repatch so i have an idea if the recips settled or if i want to AI again.
You can put a little paint on them if you want to leave them on after breeding or patch over the old one to see if they settled.
Ive used tail paint, and chalk, give me the patch so much easier and more visible.

We've been using these patches for a few years and they do work, really they work better that the old K-Mar's. If you have animals that you are missing catching in heat because they have a short cycle, this will help catch them.

These patches being a bright color also helps when you are trying to sort out cows that need to be bred in a large group.

When we put them on, we use a curry comb and curry the hair just a little where these patches will go to help remove excess dander, dirt and loose hair. These patches also come with a cloth that you rub over the area that helps. We also use a hair dryer on the back side of the patches which helps to activate the sticky a little better.

cbcr":2gox4c5j said:
We also use a hair dryer on the back side of the patches which helps to activate the sticky a little better.
I just keep them against my skin inside my shirt and that makes them plenty sticky for me.

LRTX1":276s8tmm said:
When a cow goes in heat a lot of times other cows try to mount them. When a cow gets mounted those patches that are stuck on their back just in front of the tail head will turn a bright color. One can simply look out in the pasture an observe which cows are in heat and ready to breed based on the color of the patch. I see no advantage in using patches in natural breeding.

I use them some times for natural breeding with my heifers so I know when they start cycling. And that way I know when they were bred so I can watch them when they calve. They are an excellent product. B&G

I use them like crazy too. Actually last spring I went to the vet to get some and they needed to order some more so I told them to order me one package. My wife went in to pick them up thinking I would get the package of 50 like we always do, but she came home with a whole box that had 10 packages of 50 in it! I told her I didn't want that many and she said she told the vet that too, but the vet said they ordered a package of 50 and the company sent them the whole box so Merry Christmas. I didn't complain one bit!
If I'm putting the patches on in April when it's still pretty chilly I will sometimes put them in the microwave for 10 seconds or less to get the adhesive sticky and those things will stay on real good. Just a quick way to heat them up.

You can also cut them in half lengthways. They stay on about as good as a whole patch. Cheaper to use than a whole patch when you're just trying to get a reference heat, or get an idea of whole many stuck to the AI.

Latest posts