First winter calf!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3kftgaks said:
But that will FILL with water & snow unless you drill holes in the bottom - then you can't feed loose mineral (which BTW, cattle CANNOT get enough mineral from a block if they stand and lick on it 24/7)
$100 :shock: yikes!
The barrel has a hole on only 1 side. The prevailing wind blows the hole away so it does not blow snow/rain INSIDE the barrel, especially if you tip it properly.
A barrel costs around $5 - you also need rope, swivel hook & eyebolt. Can't imagine you have more than $10 in them - and if you need to, they are easy to move - although I have 1 or 2 in every field cattle get into. If you don't have ANY trees, you can build a frame to hang it on.

Right. He just sent me a pic of it the other day, and really hadn't thought it all through. I'll ask and see what he is doing about not having it fill with water and snow.

Greatgert - looks to me he is using it to feed BLOCK salt, so he probably has holes in the bottom???? Pretty elaborate for block salt - most people put it on the ground or in a shallow tub. LOOKS good tho! Much fancier than an old barrel hanging from a tree. :banana:

Latest posts