First Time Weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

nathan arizona

Reaction score
I've got five calves that I separated from their mommas today. I've moved them to my little pasture which has a 1 acre area that's separated from the rest of the pasture. The calves are in the 1 acre lot and there's a hot wire on both sides of the fence that separates them from the rest of the pasture. Calves and mommas can see each other fine. I'd like to move the mommas back to my bigger pasture as soon as I can. There's a lot more grass there, it's where my squeeze chute is, and I'd like to have them preg checked as soon as possible. How long would you wait to move them? Also, I'd like to let the calves have access to the entire little pasture after I do this – they'd have access to a pond, so I wouldn't have to water them and there's still grass they could eat. My only issue is that the fence separating the two areas isn't in the best of shape. It's not broken anywhere, but it's in a swampy area and if the calves were motivated enough, I'm sure that they could get through. After a couple of weeks, does their desire to nurse start to decrease enough that they would be content in to stay away from momma? Or should I just keep them in the 1 acre area for the duration?

When fenceline weaning, we wait until the cows are starting to spend more time away from the calf fence then near it. Usually takes 2-3 days. After that we start moving the cows further and further. Within a week a calves are into their routine and the cows are into theirs

I discovered something quite by accident in October when we last weaned a group of calves. Out of necessity and shortness of time I went ahead and moved them 5 miles to our long term weaning lot and far away form their mothers and the farm they were born on. The cow's seemed to adjust almost immediately once the calve were trucked out and the calves themselves settled right in at the new facility. Very little balling on either end.

I'm going back up in the next couple of weeks to wean a smaller group the same way so it will be interesting to see if I get similar results.

TennesseeTuxedo":qa33wby9 said:
I discovered something quite by accident in October when we last weaned a group of calves. Out of necessity and shortness of time I went ahead and moved them 5 miles to our long term weaning lot and far away form their mothers and the farm they were born on. The cow's seemed to adjust almost immediately once the calve were trucked out and the calves themselves settled right in at the new facility. Very little balling on either end.

I'm going back up in the next couple of weeks to wean a smaller group the same way so it will be interesting to see if I get similar results.

Tennessee, did you check the Farmer's Almanac Best Days to wean? Well done! That said, 2 - 3 days is "normal" bawling for both mama's & calves & the calves quickly adjust to their new surroundings. THAT said, there's always one calf that will immediately go straight back to the teat if it has a chance. Good fences = good neighbors & successful weaning/separating bulls, etc.

TennesseeTuxedo":3cqg1heq said:

When we started fenceline weaning rather then distance weaning our calves gain weight during the first 2 weeks of being weaned. They used to lose some weight. Now they gain a pound of more a day. We weigh them the day they are weaned then 2-3 weeks later when we give the boosters.

Thanks for all the advice. I might not sleep too good tonight as all the girls are raising h3ll out there right now. I'm counting on the 2-3 days!

After 2-3 days it will get a lot better every day. I dont trust calves for a week though. Even after they stop making a lot of noise they are still on edge and will be taking advantage of any chance of excape.

Most cows will sleep by the fence close to the calf. I have noticed that cows and calves pair up at night when still together. They may not pay much attention to each other during the day but come night time they want each other's comfort.
After 3 days most cows will stop sleeping by the fence.
Give the calves all the feed they want during the first days of weaning. Helps replace the milk they are missing in their belly. Our calves usually adjust to weaning sooner than the momma cows.

Beware the 2nd night, make sure your security is good I find they make a last ditch effort to get back with their Mum and that is when you will find your fences wanting.
Ken

Our method of fenceline weaning is to wean in a pasture that the calves are familiar with. They know where the water is and where the weaning grain ration is fed. They may not come up for the grain when we put it out but will drift in eventually since it's in the water point. We divide the pasture with a strand of very hot polywire. As the cows are worked they go to the biggest side and the calves go to the smaller side. We weigh vaccinate, worm and pour for grubs. A temp water point is set up in the bigger area so the cows have their own water source. After 3 days (or so) the cows are gradually drifted to other pasture further and further from the calves. The reason for putting the calves in the smaller part of the pasture is so that they are easier to bring up when we put out grain after the cows are moved out. If the cows see/hear grain being dumped the beller their heads off and that just spins the calves up even more. After the first night, the noisiest cows are the first timers, the others are used to the process so it's not that big of a deal. Once the calves are coming up for grain when called we open up the rest of the pasture so they have the whole thing. In 2-3 weeks we run them through the shoot again and administer boosters and reweigh. The calves are kept in the weaning pasture until sale time or for the retained heifers they are turned in with the bred cows.
That weaning process, about 45 days is the only time they get grain regularly. After that they get grain when we bring them in to work them or to AI. Then they will get about 2 mouthfulls of grain apiece. For the rest of their lives they remember what a bucket means and will come running for a little grain.
Phew, didn;t mean to run on so. Sorry bout that.

nathan arizona":bfuez3ye said:
My only issue is that the fence separating the two areas isn't in the best of shape. It's not broken anywhere, but it's in a swampy area and if the calves were motivated enough, I'm sure that they could get through.

Even after they stop missing their mammas that'ss asking for trouble. They're like teenagers, always looking to do something they shouldn't. I wouldn't turn them out in that pen until they're all trained to come to feed, so when they get out you have a good chance to lead them back with a bucket or feed sack.

My are has built up with homes, so I even wait on the wind some years, so that the sound is downwind of the houses. I'm going to quiet wean more and more though. Easier on everyone.

Tried fence line weaning for the first time this fall and won't go back to distance weaning ! First day or two the cows hung around the fence, some bawling on their part but more on the calves part. Seemed to a lot less than when they can't see each other. By the 3rd day the cows left and didn't come back. Calves were fine. Two weeks later we had a gate to get open and one calf went straight to mom and started nursing; so don't plan on putting them back together for a long time.

I have a neighbor who weans his calves on the trailer wheels. His fences are not the best and his momma cows show up here looking for their calves.
Not having to chase momma cows is a good enough reason to fence wean.

coachg":1kr0yhby said:
Tried fence line weaning for the first time this fall and won't go back to distance weaning ! First day or two the cows hung around the fence, some bawling on their part but more on the calves part. Seemed to a lot less than when they can't see each other. By the 3rd day the cows left and didn't come back. Calves were fine. Two weeks later we had a gate to get open and one calf went straight to mom and started nursing; so don't plan on putting them back together for a long time.
We wait a minimum of 45 days before putting them back together. Only ever had 1 that went back to nursing and that was after she had been weaned for 6 months and with her mother for 3 months. As soon as her mother started nursing her new calf she went to sucking.

We've had two go back to nursing after many months apart! Very frustrating but we needed to sell a couple yearlings anyway. Was surprised the mamas let them--in fact, both were nursing cows that weren't even their mama. As I've said before, my cows are apparently followers of one K. Marx when it comes to nursing! Grr

Tim/South":3jqry6u0 said:
Most cows will sleep by the fence close to the calf. I have noticed that cows and calves pair up at night when still together. They may not pay much attention to each other during the day but come night time they want each other's comfort.
After 3 days most cows will stop sleeping by the fence.
Give the calves all the feed they want during the first days of weaning. Helps replace the milk they are missing in their belly. Our calves usually adjust to weaning sooner than the momma cows.
Unless you've been creep feeding it'd be better to slowly build up the grain ration so none founder

Lazy M":1d1jo8eb said:
Unless you've been creep feeding it'd be better to slowly build up the grain ration so none founder
Good point about too much grain to quick. We start ours out at maybe a pound twice a day then gradually ramp them up

Latest posts