First time raising beef

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Haven't started yet but for the first time should I purchase heifers or steers to raise for beef. Is there a big difference in their temperment. As ya'll know in my prior posts . I will be relocating to NW Tenn in oct. will probably get a minimum 20 acres. I want to buy one just weened and another about 8 months old.

Crowderfarms":1q8w3keu said:
Walter, Glad you'll be leaving Ca. soon. Please leave Arnold there. Thanks.

Came to California after the military obligation and have stayed 30 years. Past time to leave. Never been to Tennessee so a great place to visit.
It was 112 here today in Temecula

You'll like Tennessee, although Im at the other end. Where you are going to be in real nice. I love Western Tennessee.

You'll probably get more gain from a steer-their temperaments shouldn't be any different form a heifer's. Heifers will eventually start cycling unless you have them spayed. I would go with steers for beef.

Walter...sounds like you have a nice future arranged...retirement? We stsrted raising table beef for our family and friends and the demand grew faster than we could finish steers...I would figure out what you are going to do with the cattle once they grow up...a 1200# steer will fill a freezer and unless you eat alot of beef you will find yourself giving it away, or in our case with a large extended family, having alot of Sunday cook outs.
Temperment isn't so much a matter of gender as it is breed and how the animal is raised. Can't go wrong with Herefords, I haven't met a nasty one yet. We raise them along with Angus and Baldies and have introduced a Limousin heifer this year, covered her with our Red Angus bull.
I would advise to get set up with good equipment and facilities, educate yourself about cattle, learn the market and make some friends in the business(most important) before you go out and buy cattle...just my opinion. Sorry I tend to get chatty. Good Luck, Susie

Thanks all
No Susie not retiring, just changing locations. I buy and sell homes. Buy low fix them up and resell them. California has gotten too expensive and too fast paced with all the investors here. Will flip an average of 10 a year. Wife wants to open a coffee shop and i want to raise a few cattle. Still have to have time to go fishing.
Big john let us know about your cattle.
I am on my fourth book now and ready to pick out the real estate. Going to visit the area in August then return to california and sell our place and move.

I got lucky when I found my farm (after looking for 3 years) 183 acres around 100 acres of woods 40 in pasture and the rest in hay and corn (only 6 acres of corn for feed) preaty good fences (been working on them) the only thing I had to do was build some stalls for the babys that are coming but I went ahead and put up a new barn for them and closed in the side of the barn where they used to keep them so I could lock up my tools
When the sun goes doen you cant even see another light from the farm next door... Heven if you ask me

The farm 400k
Equipment ect..30k
Being able to pee off the front porch and no one can see you...Priceless

Latest posts