First time grazing stockpiled pasture.

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":2akvu1jw said:
My stockpile fescue tested 17.8% on underutilized and 19.7 on what I spread Urea.
I'd sure be happy with anything close to that. I didn't fertilize this, but I did spray a lot of it. Any idea what the dormant Bermuda might be nutritionally?

southernultrablack":21jnhw33 said:
kenny thomas":21jnhw33 said:
My stockpile fescue tested 17.8% on underutilized and 19.7 on what I spread Urea.
I'd sure be happy with anything close to that. I didn't fertilize this, but I did spray a lot of it. Any idea what the dormant Bermuda might be nutritionally?
can't help you there, we don't have Bermuda.

For a dozen cows.....maybe a 1/4 of an acre to no more than 1/2 an acre per day. That is about the rest of the winter...otherwise you might get a months worth maybe.

Banjo":5piz9p3n said:
For a dozen cows.....maybe a 1/4 of an acre to no more than 1/2 an acre per day. That is about the rest of the winter...otherwise you might get a months worth maybe.
Yes I agree, I wasn't paying attention to the number of cattle you have.

The dormant bermuda will lose nutritional value progressively after frost, but every bite of the fescue mixed with is added dry matter, this is the perfect application for a protein tub IMO.

Thanks for the info! I got most everything in place to strip graze. Due to water placement the fist area will be several acres, but should be able to make smaller strips after that.

southernultrablack":k53smcgf said:
Going to put a dozen or so cows on this 28 acres, It's mainly fescue and Bermuda. How many grazing days would you expect and what kind of nutritional value?

If you were in our area, not long. The rain is relentless, and it can go to mud quickly. I agree with others on here, use electric fence, and give them a little each day, otherwise, they will trash it quickly.

Here are 16 animals on 30 acres after three weeks. 7 are young calves. They have Purina Accuration tubs, hay, and we give them a small grain ration nightly. This should tell you how bad the weather is here in KY. They will be moving soon to higher ground and grass like what you posted, but I doubt it will last long with the weather.

southernultrablack":31kx9gsl said:
Going to put a dozen or so cows on this 28 acres, It's mainly fescue and Bermuda. How many grazing days would you expect and what kind of nutritional value?

Fescue of this size will tolerate wet weather trampling much better than overgrazed pasture. It may not look pretty when your done but the long grass will have equally long roots.....it will just get a little root pruning which may actually help it if given time to recover in the spring. If more fescue grass is desired I think you could go out ahead of the cattle and sow some seed and let it get tromped in.

I'm in southwest TN with much the same mix of pasture. Agree with Steve here......6 weeks if you keep the polywire good and hot. I have a problem with an area where the amps are low......:-((

Bovine breeder":1rbatkvo said:
Stocker Steve":1rbatkvo said:
47 grazing days if you are good with polywire

Would you mind to share with me your formula to find that? Asking because I don't know, not doubting you.
Ever been to a grazing school or do you have a grazing stick?

1. Estimate total standing dry matter i.e. 2000lbs/ac
2. Estimate how much of that the cows will eat i.e. 40% or 800lbs/ac x 28 ac = 22,400lbs

3. Estimate daily intake i.e. 2-3% body weight (1400lbs [email protected]% x 12 head= 420lbs daily)

total available forage/daily intake of the herd=grazing days

22400/420=53 grazing days

fasttommy":2flor62d said:
1. Estimate total standing dry matter i.e. 2000lbs/ac
2. Estimate how much of that the cows will eat i.e. 40% or 800lbs/ac x 28 ac = 22,400lbs

3. Estimate daily intake i.e. 2-3% body weight (1400lbs [email protected]% x 12 head= 420lbs daily)

total available forage/daily intake of the herd=grazing days

Most accurate method for standing dry matter is to clip and dry. A grazing stick gets you in the ballpark. It has a formula on it of inches x forage type fudge factor = lbs/acre. A bale of free choice filler helps stretch out the higher quality stuff when strip grazing.

Cattle intake varies greatly depending on how fast they can digest it, lactation phase, age, breed, and how good it tastes. A range of 2 to 3% of body weight covers most cases.

*** You have to adjust somewhere for waste. Many assume 50%, but it can range from about 20 to 80%. This is where the moving poly wire comes in. ***

A way to back into intake plus waste is to count cow days per acre, and then adjust for forage available and cow weight.

Latest posts