First load

Help Support CattleToday:

Did you sell straight of the mommas? I haven't done that in years but thinking on it this year.

Nice calves @cowgirl8 !

Word is here, either sell em straight off cow. Or they are wanting 90 days plus weaned right now. The stuff in between has been spotty.

Hope they did well for ya. For the circumstances, things seem to be selling OK!

Nice calves @cowgirl8 !

Word is here, either sell em straight off cow. Or they are wanting 90 days plus weaned right now. The stuff in between has been spotty.

Hope they did well for ya. For the circumstances, things seem to be selling OK!
I've been told unweaned bawling calves with a wet nose are being docked heavy. Was told if we give the 2nd round and hold them at least 21 days it will pay. Guess different managers and buyers have varying opinions. We sold them last gear from 21-120 days weaned. Didn't see enough difference to justify the extra feed cost. Another issue many that are weaning are having severe issues with dust pneumonia. We have considered selling off the cow but will likely try weaning at least 21 days as we were told and go from there on the rest. We have some wheat up if we could get some rain we will run the light endon wheat.

Those we sold straight off moms.. Most were eating hay and cubes already. We've held back all our heifers. They'll be weaned, but, dont know if that will make much of a difference. We have a lot of hay, its not muddy like most years so we'll keep them a while. May sell them privately, who knows. Usually when we do hold back weanlings, the rain comes... but this year no so much..

I've been told unweaned bawling calves with a wet nose are being docked heavy. Was told if we give the 2nd round and hold them at least 21 days it will pay. Guess different managers and buyers have varying opinions. We sold them last gear from 21-120 days weaned. Didn't see enough difference to justify the extra feed cost. Another issue many that are weaning are having severe issues with dust pneumonia. We have considered selling off the cow but will likely try weaning at least 21 days as we were told and go from there on the rest. We have some wheat up if we could get some rain we will run the light endon wheat.
21 days is the amount of time it takes for 40 to 50 lbs of baby fat to disappear before they start gaining on the average operation. Do that math to find out if fresh weaned are the better seller or not.

How old are these weaned calves that were wet nosed and bawling for momma? What location also?

They are in the 450-650 range. Talked to a man today he said all classes are down here but calves right off the cow are being docked the most now. With the drought getting worse no improvement in sight. He is a large operator and attends sales every week. I was told a very similar story from a barn owner a few weeks ago. This is in west central Oklahoma. I would imagine most are Jan-March calves. Some are younger. Breeders are weaning early to lighten the load on their cows. These are good quality calves.

21 days is the amount of time it takes for 40 to 50 lbs of baby fat to disappear before they start gaining on the average operation. Do that math to find out if fresh weaned are the better seller or not.
The last few years we have started our calves on a mixed feed 2-4 weeks before weaning. We then wean and continue with approx 3 lbs of the mixed grain, free choice hay. Usually alfalfa and wheat. This year we will try some peanut hay and maybe some grass hay and free choice liquid feed along with Vita Ferm stress tubs and minerals. At 30 days last year they were around 30 lbs heavier than weaning. With the $25.00 a hundred increase in price it paid to wean them. We sold one bunch at 21 days and they were still heavier than weaning but less. We will see how it works this year. We have noticed it works best on 7-8 month old calves. The younger calves will be slower to gain.

The man I talked to today runs several hundred head of cows along with stockers that he buys. He said he is buying the unweaned calves for $50.00 a hundred off and bull calves off even more. We will start weaning the big end this week. We will monitor them and the market. Also if we can get some rain we will likely wean the lighter calves later and run them on wheat. The issue with weaning this year in the drought is many are having issues with dust pneumonia. Another reason many are going straight to the sale. And the demand isn't strong for them. But plan to market the big end in the 21-30 range.

Latest posts