A first.......

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
First bred cow and heifer sale in a long while that I didn't buy a one.

95-98% of breds here going for slaughter because of no extra feed and general depression in the industry. What is it like there?

Aaron said:
95-98% of breds here going for slaughter because of no extra feed and general depression in the industry. What is it like there?

One contributor has been bringing a string of bred heifers for several years. They do everything right and the cattle are well presented. They had 100 there on Wednesday that sold from 1900 to 2150. A young herd of dispersal black Simmental cows topped $2400. There weren't many of the cull breds that escaped the kill pen.

kenny thomas said:
Sale here tonight and I doubt any bred heifers will top 1000. 800 will be more common

Wonder what the freight would be to here Kenny? That and the death loss due to those who refused to acclimate....

gcreekrch said:
kenny thomas said:
Sale here tonight and I doubt any bred heifers will top 1000. 800 will be more common

Wonder what the freight would be to here Kenny? That and the death loss due to those who refused to acclimate....

Costs me about $200 a head to have cattle custom hauled by international carrier 400 miles.

You and Kenny are roughly 2500 miles apart.

So I would estimate somewhere in the $1200 per head range. Perhaps $1000 or less per head if a pot could be filled.

They sold a pretty good string of black cows yesterday. The 3 year olds bred 5-6 months brought $1425. That was for a group of 32 head. Probably sold 130 head +/-. Nothing sold under $1,200 until they got to the few broken mouth cows which brought $850.

Aaron said:
gcreekrch said:
kenny thomas said:

Costs me about $200 a head to have cattle custom hauled by international carrier 400 miles.

So I would estimate somewhere in the $1200 per head range. Perhaps $1000 or less per head if a pot could be filled.

I would fire your hauler. It costs .05 per lb to get our calves 400 miles to the feedlot they are at.

2500 miles is 50 to 60 hours of driving at $160 per hr for a pot Canadian funds. $9600 Divide that by 47 head. $204 per head. Get them here for 15 to 1600 Can.

gcreekrch said:
Aaron said:
gcreekrch said:

I would fire your hauler. It costs .05 per lb to get our calves 400 miles to the feedlot they are at.

2500 miles is 50 to 60 hours of driving at $160 per hr for a pot Canadian funds. $9600 Divide that by 47 head. $204 per head. Get them here for 15 to 1600 Can.

I couldn't fire them. They are the only ones in Canada that go coast to coast on a weekly basis. Very handy. And well worth the premium to not have truckers that beat on the cattle like feeder cattle.

Need to count unloading and resting en route as well as border crossing fees. Probably get lucky and be able to use border unload to satisfy US and Canada requirements. Used to be $100-150 per head for the border check, but I don't know what it is lately. I was figuring on 55 head, these are southern cattle we are talking about. These are also breeder, not feeder cattle, so the import rules are more stringent.

Small bred cow sales only till Thanksgiving here. Running age cows are U$S 725 to 900 now, perhaps $100 higher when we have the big sales? Only motivated cow buyers I have seen are feeders looking to market some local low test weight corn.

Most guys that were raising bred heifers have dropped out here. My guess is there will be very good demand in the high rainfall areas like SD. Some of those boys made alot of baleage on their PP acres, and/or have standing prairie grass for next spring.

Couldn't resist a cheap bred heifer on Thursday. She and 3 little dink calves to add to our own dink pen.Got the Low Income iron on them today.

gcreekrch said:
Couldn't resist a cheap bred heifer on Thursday. She and 3 little dink calves to add to our own dink pen.Got the Low Income iron on them today.

I thought that iron stood for Low Input?

Dave said:
gcreekrch said:

When the banker is near............ :D

gcreekrch said:
Dave said:
gcreekrch said:

When the banker is near............ :D

You have a two way brand. Mine is E slash lazy D. You know who that lazy D stands for. I can't get no respect.

Latest posts