first horse

Help Support CattleToday:

notimeforfear

Reaction score
alright i have been riding for about 9-10 years now....mind you im 17 and i finally stubled upon the funds to get my first horse.......along with the money i have already saved, i went into the store the other day and bought a lottery scratcher.....came out winning $1000 off of a 2 dollar ticket.

i do have a question as well. someone had told me about a thing called the healthy horse program or the well horse program...or something like that i was wondering if any yall no something about it

-josh

:welcome: Josh! welcome to the joys of horse ownership. The horse wellness program
is from your vet. The vet does the maintence care on the horse ( teeth check, vaccinations,
rotate paste wormer and daily wormer( strongid c 2x) All supplies are bought from the vet.
If the horse colics and needs surgery, the bill is paid by the wormer company. The idea is
that the horse will stay healthy with impeccible parisite control and teeth care. :lol:
I have mine on this program ;-) What breed of horse are you getting? :p

congratulations on your (soon to be) first horse~ :clap: :tiphat:

or should i say, sorry to hear you're buying a horse...? :cry2: :help:

i always say, "horses are like tattoo's, no one who gets one, gets just one!"

good luck to you, although a man shouldn't ever admit this...part of the fun is in the shopping, so take your time and find yourself a good one. out of respect for the other users (and the fact i don't want to get banned!) i try not to advertise my website on here, but check out http://www.liverystable.net if you need some more horses to shop through. we're fairly new to the market, but we've got some nice california horses. again, congrats and good luck.

well its settled we are getting her on tues. or wed. of this week. from my understanding she is an amazing horse with EXCELENT bloodlines...(dont know much about bloodlines though). if anyone has ever heard of the Houghton family, i guess they are very big in the race horse industry, we are getting out horse from their daughter or something haha...but she is a quarter horse paint. she is black and white...acually i might get a pic on here

33.jpg

41.jpg

2.jpg

that lotto moneys not going to last long when you start buying feed and hay.there are lots of free horses around here.my uncle owns a tack store and theres not a day goes by that someone dosnt comin and try to give him a horse.someone tried to give him a racehorse that had won over $20000 he was a stud said he was sound to race.

Get a vet to check her before you buy her...

the way the horse market is, if she doesn't work out or isn't sound and cannot be used, you wouldn't even be able to give her away. Be careful with your money... and don't expect it to last long. Hope you have a high paying job after school to pay for your hay burner. :p

One more thing since I noticed where you're from... I worked about an hour from there last summer and some of my coworkers were from Bakersfield. If the hay prices are anything like where I worked, you're talking about $230/ton hay, and you'll go through a little under 1 ton/month. Hope you're prepared for that.

well thanks for your concerns but yes i have done my research on her and my vet is the one that referred me to this horse. i do have a good paying job. and with little bills to pay asof right now im thinking i can get by. but even if not im boarding at my vets house and we are good friends and she said shes always willing to help me out..

i think she 13

i wanted to update everyone on my horse the one in the pictures. she was very nervous when she first got to the house but she has calmed down and now knows im not there to hurt her or any of that madness. she has been at the house for 2 weeks now and i took her out riding yesterday. she is the most well behaved horse ive ever ridden. shes not scared of ANYTHING except SMALL dogs. she is probably the best choise ive made in a very long time

I'm glad that you are happy with her.
There is a time period of about 4 to 8 weeks that is called the Honeymoon period when you get a new horse. It is called that because you won't really know what you have until the horse settles in and adjusts to it's new surroundings and owner.
You will find out if she is the horse for you after several months. Some horses stay good, with others their true colors will show.

Good luck with her.

Latest posts