First Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

RICHARDL

Reaction score
Ok, Hi all Got a rew questions, so here goes. My problem is i've been looking for a couple of good angus heifers. I have all my fence up, water etc. But i came across a 13 month old Angus heifer. Problem, he only wants to get rid of one. So that puts me getting her alone. If i get her do i pen her up a for a few days? with feed & water and stay near her. or just pen her up for a day and turn her loose, I have a 5acre pasture with 75% bermunda grass and 10% bahia. I'm concerned she will freak out and want to join ranks with the neighbors cattle 5 acres away. should i be concerned? If i do pen her up what do i feed her Hay, grain , minerals? what to do what to do?
thanks for any help
Richardl

I like to keep em in a pen at least for a few days and "visit them" several times a day, give em some feed, walk among them, let them get used to you and their new home. Usually after 2 or 3 days they will no longer flee from you but come to you when they see you. That is when I turn them out to larger pasture.

As far as feeding her, if their is no grass in your pen you will have to feed her hay, use the grain or cubes to get her attention and be sure she knows where they are coming from. After she calms down and knows where her new home is you can go to whatever feeding program you choose.

Even though she is alone? so i should be ok getting her by herself? what kinds feed hay or grain and what kinda grain
thanks

What you plan to do with her; breed her, fatten her for the freezer, show her. Each has a different feeding program.

Not a big deal for her to be alone for a short time till you get another if that is the plan. If you would rather have them come from the same place, wait till you can get 2 or 3.

since your only getting 1 heifer right now.id keep her penned up for a week or 2.so she can get used to you coming to feed an water her.if you turn her out after day.she may go through the fences.

Yes breed her will be the plan, and get more cattle. than after i get my feet wet for awhile with them get a bull or rent one. but for now i gotta start some where. And she a good looking heifer so i belive she the one i start with. But i guess she'll just get hay while she is penned up? or should i get her a little grain also??? and yes get more cattle is in the works
thanks

Cattle are herd animals. They will always do better in numbers as compared to alone.
If you have any options on getting another at the same time (even if from an alternate
source) I recommend you do that.

Because she is 13 months she is still growing and needs to gain condition, giving her some grain, cubes, or some other feed ration will help her reach breeding weight at an earlier age. You will also make friends with her in a very short time. Ask the feller you are getting her from how he is feeding his animals and do the same (similar) at least for a short time. Don't make a complete change overnight. Changing from grass to hay is ok, changing from a feedlot diet to strictly forage diet overnight isn't.

arkcowman":atv3oivl said:
Cattle are herd animals. They will always do better in numbers as compared to alone.
If you have any options on getting another at the same time (even if from an alternate
source) I recommend you do that.

I agree. Even if it's a steer, just something for her to herd up with

If youwant Angus heifers just find some other ones. Don't get stuck on this one heifer. You can find plenty.
You might try contacting some Angus breders in your area. Go to the Angus web site and do a search in your area. www.angus.org
Then call some up and take a look at what they have to offer.

DID that, closes place is arkansas, diesel fuel would eat me up. I'd be better off getting her and getting another cheaper one to go with her till the other 2 are ready. If she son't work out than it good by. i'll just ahve to try and see. I apreciate the help thought

not to bust away from the subject or get a new topic going but maybe yuo dont have to have your heart set on Angus? There is a breed section on this forum if you would want to look into something else if finding angus cattle is hard.

NEVER said it was hard. And my heart is set on what i see and like, This guy has good cattle. I also, like most folks work 40-50 hours a week. and with fuel prices the way they are. why should i travel all over gods green earth when i don't have to. He's got something i like. So why not go for it. And why should Just "settle" There are some good peolple around that have angus cattle , people i know. But there not ready to part with any, Other than that if i want to pay extra for a Reg. Angus cattle Yea. theres some. Not what i want. I want to start slow & easy. ifing i don't like it than oh well :devil2:

THANKS, That's excatly what i'm going to do. if she seems a little rambunctious, he has a pregrant Branugus that he will let me have to if i want her for 1200. i'm thinkin less but we'll see. I could take her very easly. didn't want to get into have a calf right away but... :cboy:

Richard-
I bought my Brangus heifer home and she is alone. Abit of a culture shock for the old girl, being alone and also close to people, spending her life as a range cow. she was snorty the first few days, but knock on the dear Lord's wood, she hasnt gotten out or attempted too. I didnt pen her, but put some cubes out so when I unloaded her, she saw them and made a beeline for them instead of my fence. She is a cube/sweet feed addict luckily.

That was about 2 months ago and with consistent feeding, shes come around and is seems content.

However, I did purchase a calf that will go over with her when she gets older. cows need their herd.

hey, thanks there, Yes that kinda is my plan to. I'm go to have some sweet feed & hay ready for her so when i unload her. it already there than i'll bring her more so she can get use to me. and i'm looking into get 2 calfes now so she won't be alone for long. you said cubes. what kinda cubes? she won't be lonely for long
Thanks again
Richardl

RICHARDL":17fpzhe3 said:
she'll just get hay while she is penned up? or should i get her a little grain also??? and yes get more cattle is in the works
thanks

I would make or buy a small feed bunk - hardware stores have ones with steel frames and plastic inserts that work well. Bring her some grain in the late afternoon every day about the same time in the same bucket. Buy a bag of sweet complete calf feed. Scoop out about 3-5lb a day into the bucket. Feed it to her in the bunk at the same spot in the corral every evening.

This way she will associate you with the bucket and with a tasty treat and generally good things. Hay will be her main nutrition but the grain & you will be something she looks forward to every day. This way even after you let her out of the pen she will come running in at a gallop when she sees you and the bucket. Talk to her softly.

I would also get another heifer or cow as soon as you can and do the same. it would be nice if they went through this training period together. I would suggest you try a Hereford. They seem more gentle and less flighty than the Angus to me. You can always sell what you don't care for but you will learn and compare. jmho. Good luck. Should be fun.