First heifer (Dairy)

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeJoel

Reaction score
CalfNursing.jpg

There she is nursing.
(To me she seems a little thin but then I've been looking at beef calfs on the board and in other's barns)
Being new to cattle Im sure we put a lot more trouble in than was actually there but learned a lot for next time.
(Making a list of don'ts and do's for the next calving).

Didn't get to weigh it till the next day then found her to be about 50-55Lb.
She was sired by a milking shorthorn. The dam (which has finally got it's name "Miss Maple"... I dont care as long as if a stranger hears me using the name I dont have to blush ;-)). Anyway the dam as most know is a Jersey-mix (I believe of shorthorn, though by the coloring I guess there must be other breeds (so I guess she is a mutt ;-)). Just going by how most breeding seems to be to shorthorn up here).

She seems to be healthy and was bouncing around the stall while I cleaned this morning.

Whoooooh. What an experience.
Learned a lot that I hope will make next time better.

Here is just a little (Seems so simple now that I have experienced it and can examine it):

1) Saw dust is not the ideal bedding for birthing (not really dust but small enough to make it a problem) - straw or hay next time (I also have free access to wood shavings)

2) I now know this cow lets you know when it is time (she told me ;-) I was walking by the barn and she was laying in her stall and started lowing at me. That morning she also was coming up to me every time I was down at the barn.

3) The timing I have read so much about isn't absolute. Let them alone unless you are SURE there is a problem. A calf may not be up and walking within 10-15 minutes. And nursing may not take place within 30 minutes.

4) The cow knows more than I credited it.

That is just the tip of it.

Thanks for the patience for a beginner all,
Mike

MikeJoel":3so4r7mg said:
Whoooooh. What an experience.
Learned a lot that I hope will make next time better.

Here is just a little (Seems so simple now that I have experienced it and can examine it):

1) Saw dust is not the ideal bedding for birthing (not really dust but small enough to make it a problem) - straw or hay next time (I also have free access to wood shavings)

2) I now know this cow lets you know when it is time (she told me ;-) I was walking by the barn and she was laying in her stall and started lowing at me. That morning she also was coming up to me every time I was down at the barn.

3) The timing I have read so much about isn't absolute. Let them alone unless you are SURE there is a problem. A calf may not be up and walking within 10-15 minutes. And nursing may not take place within 30 minutes.

4) The cow knows more than I credited it.

That is just the tip of it.

:lol2:

Looks like the calf is doing well. Yes dairy calves are lighter boned and carry less muscle and weight than beef calves, but she'll put on some more weight within a few weeks.

Good job.

Mike, it sounds like you're on your way. Remember these lessons and keep in mind there will be many more. Be patient and keep learning all you can.

Sometimes the lessons learned "the hard way", hands on, are the ones we remember most.
Kepp up the good work and good luck.

That heifer calf looks okay.

Katherine

~

Real Beautiful calf Mike.

Lots to learn about cows & calves for all of us.

Books are good but I have found that my cows have taught me the best lessons every year.

I don't know if anyone has warned you yet--but cows are addicting. I imagine you will have a few more by years end.
SO many to chose from~!!

Latest posts