First deer rifles

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms

Reaction score
Here's mine, when I was 6 dad let me pick any bolt action 243 I wanted, I could have had a model 70 featherweight, a browning medallion, about anything, but at 6 years old I thought this was best suited for me. Model 70 stainless synthetic. I don't even know how many I've killed with it, but I have lined it to 5 other people that have shot nice deer with it, it's kinda became the community gun. Lets see or hear what some of y'all first deer rifles were.

90678811-428A-411C-83AA-30D849F90B6F-1103-000002C8EEB6285C_zps1e958dee.jpg

Borrowed a Marlin 336 30-30 from my uncle. Have since owned many rifles and killed many deer with a variety of calibers. A couple of years ago I got it back out of the safe and put a Leupold Rifleman on it. I've carried it the last 3 or 4 years in the woods. I usually keep a 22-250 in the truck in case something is way out there when I'm watching a field.

J&D Cattle":lna7cqfk said:
Borrowed a Marlin 336 30-30 from my uncle. Have since owned many rifles and killed many deer with a variety of calibers. A couple of years ago I got it back out of the safe and put a Leupold Rifleman on it. I've carried it the last 3 or 4 years in the woods. I usually keep a 22-250 in the truck in case something is way out there when I'm watching a field.
In about 1970 my dads first was a 336c 30-30 marlin. I have a Leupold rifleman on that model 70 in the picture, it had a tasco world class for a long time but came apart inside a few years ago.

I've had many a Tasco word class scope. Used to think they were just awesome. Had one in TV view I believe. Seems like my ex-FIL still has it.

J&D Cattle":3dvecu7a said:
I've had many a Tasco word class scope. Used to think they were just awesome. Had one in TV view I believe. Seems like my ex-FIL still has it.
We still have sevarel around on guns, but Leupold has such good costumer service I try to buy them mostly. We've also been trying a few bushnell scopes, so far I think there ok for some guns.

got a marlin 30-30 30yrs ago for Christmas when I was 16 killed 4 deer one morning with it right after that. I was hunting a broom sage patch and it was doe weekend and one stood up and I shot it it ducked back down and stood up again a few feet over and I shot it again then it went down and moved again and I shot her again. I was cussing that dadgum cheap tasco scope and then a small buck stood up and I shot him. I went to retrieve the buck and found 3 does and a buck all within 30 feet of each other.

Bought a brand spanking new Winchester 30.06 with a 4x Weaver scope on it from an Otasco store for $188.88.......can remember it like it was yesterday. Sited it in and have never had to change that cheap little scope one time. When I use to hunt I would shoot it 3 times at a target and go hunting. Still "spot on". Had no finish on the stock...just oiled and natural. Heck with inflation etc. it's probably worth $200 bucks now. ;-)

My first deer rifle was a 30AW Marlin (336's cheaper cousin). I bought it after saving my money from mowing yards all summer. I put a Leupold VX-3 2-7 on it and killed my first deer with it the next fall. I now have a safe full of rifles sutable for deer, but 9 times out of 10 I still hunt with my old Marlin. It is short, light, and it works for where I hunt. Plus it is rough enough that I do not worry about scratching it.

M5farm":2iltuymj said:
got a marlin 30-30 30yrs ago for Christmas when I was 16 killed 4 deer one morning with it right after that. I was hunting a broom sage patch and it was doe weekend and one stood up and I shot it it ducked back down and stood up again a few feet over and I shot it again then it went down and moved again and I shot her again. I was cussing that dadgum cheap tasco scope and then a small buck stood up and I shot him. I went to retrieve the buck and found 3 does and a buck all within 30 feet of each other.

I doubled with a muzzle loader in the exact same scenario once. I shot a doe standing in tall grass, and when the smoke cleared where I could see she was still standing in the same place, I thought dang I cannot hit a thing. I reloaded as quickly as I could and she was still standing there when I got a new cap on, so I shot again. Walk up and two were lying together, dead as a door nail. I had taken out the shoulder on both. I never could figure out why the 2nd doe did not run. She had probably 20 seconds while I was reloading and she just stood and watched me.

First deer was with a borrowed .222 bolt action
Hit that running deer 3 times in 3 seconds.
First deer rifle I owned was a savage 110g in 30.06 wood stock. Took the action off one day and saw a huge crack from in front of the magazine receiver to the backside of the tang safety. It's amazing I ever killed anything with that rifle. Put a syn stock on it and sold it because I had no confidence in it

Model 97 Winchester ole girl is in the gun safe. I know of at least a hundred I killed with it.
I never even shot a rifle at a deer till I was way grown. I know I haven't killed over a dozen with a rifle in all the years I have been hunting.
Always been a man of the Thicket do my work up close. I even muzzle load hunt with a 12 gauge.

Killed my first deer when I was 6 with a Remington 742 Woodmaster in 6mm Remington. My second deer was with an old British .303 surplus. I got a rifle of my own at age 8. It was a Remington 700 in 6mm Remington. I still have it. It is the most accurate sporter rifle I have ever owned or shot. It has shot many groups of less than 1/2 MOA. I still take it out and hunt with it. I got it from my grandpa.......I'll never sell that rifle. It has taken scores of deer and countless coyotes. I even used it on black bear.

Shot my first legal deer at 12 with a Model 94 Winchester in 30-30. Kept it till a few years ago when a friend asked me to sell it to him and i kinda owed him one so he has it now.

Actually started hunting deer and Antelope when i was 6 with my two older cousins who were 9. We had a 30-40 Kraig and 14,000 acres worth of target rich environment to wear it out in. We used to buy surplus ammo and shoot the livin he[[ out of anything that moved with it. Fed a lot of the family and some real poor folks with that gun for years.

M-1 Carbine, 30 caliber. Not much of a deer rifle, but it was my grandfathers, he was in a wheelchair through my childhood, but I at least got to hunt with his gun and still have it.

My go-to is a Remington 722 300 Savage. Absolute deerslayer.

I was 7 maybe 8 tops. It was a revolution .243. Deer season came in on a foggy Saturday morning, and my dad was taking down dark tobacco. He let me walk down in the woods with it, and sit down by a tree. It wasn't long till a little 4 point stepped out. I shot it in the face. At the time, and with no instruction. It seemed like the thing to do.

This is another one of dads, it was new 25 years ago, model 70 30-06.

2D992030-AE75-4382-B3F4-5994F3994A14-1300-0000031164D7B14A_zpsf646d547.jpg

Another of mine, I have never been to high on Remington's but I have really enjoyed this one, 700 in 30-06 vx3 Leupold.

4A325780-ED4C-4254-AFEC-EC2ECE36300F-1300-0000031203FCECD0_zpsf50377e5.jpg

One of my favorites here, 1894 marlin 44mag, that scope is a 1.75x5 tasco that was new in dads 30-06 25 years ago, but we switched it to my marlin last year, you can back it off and see your barrel.

5AF1A553-8851-43E1-95F3-DDD650F62960-1300-000003122DFC83AD_zpsff1ab1ac.jpg

Remington 700 ADL .243 I didn't own it long....some scumbag broke into my parents house and packed off most of our guns.

Latest posts