First calf!!!!! Yipeeee!

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
This is probably no big deal to most seasoned cattle farmers, but I'm excited due to just having my first calf. I bought 16 young heifers in late 2011 and early 2012. The one who had a calf was a 2 year old Red-Angus bred to a Black Gelbvieh bull. There was nothing last night, but when I got home from work today around 6:00pm, a little black calf was hopping around mom throwing it's tail in the air and getting milk. She gave birth in the wide open pasture and apparently everything went smoothly. Both mom and the calf seem fine. I hope this is a sign of how well the others will do.

It don't matter how many I have or how long I have been in the business I still get exted every time I have a new calf. I remember when I was 11 and had my first calf, I had bought 9 heifers at 527lbs bred them to calve at 30 months and waited, my first calf came 3 weeks early and was a good sized bull.

To me, very few things are more exciting in cattle than new calves. The best ones are the first calvers that you are worried about and wind up calving just fine on their own.

New healthy calf sucking is the best feeling in the world.

Hopefully the good Lord will bless you with 15 more.

Just had #2 to a black brockle face heifer yesterday; the calf is solid black and all seems well.

I'll try some pics at some point. They were still in the "hide-out" stage when my daughter was around with her phone, and she couldn't get pics, and my phone doesn't take pictures, but I'll give it a shot at some point.

My phone has this really weird feature where you dial a number, and if the other person answers, you can hear their voice and have a conversation, but no pictures. :lol2:

Latest posts