First calf of season has finally arrived

Help Support CattleToday:

NewCowboy":yso3w3c9 said:
Just wanted to share a new calf photo. We have been waiting on a heifer to calve, but got a surprise when one of our other cows came up with this one. We are pretty sure it was born March 1 because that is the day she "disappeared".

IMG_0631.jpg

Good looking calf and cow. You will get rid of the broom sage if you fertilize with about 150 to 200 LBs per acre of a complete fertilizer, like triple 12 or triple 17. Broom sage does not like fertilizer.

Im betting the white blaze came from the sire,if he aint a purebred brangus why are you using him on cross bred cows? thats a big ol no no you got decent cows need a good straitbred bull to go with them.

sillco":1zw4kjqh said:
NewCowboy":1zw4kjqh said:
Just wanted to share a new calf photo. We have been waiting on a heifer to calve, but got a surprise when one of our other cows came up with this one. We are pretty sure it was born March 1 because that is the day she "disappeared".

IMG_0631.jpg

Good looking calf and cow. You will get rid of the broom sage if you fertilize with about 150 to 200 LBs per acre of a complete fertilizer, like triple 12 or triple 17. Broom sage does not like fertilizer.
that aint gonna do it. that would just tease it that pasture need some serious attention.less over grazing the row crop farmers will tell you if you can only afford too lime or to fertilze spend your money on the lime cause your wasting money with the fertilize

ALACOWMAN":2mgaupik said:
sillco":2mgaupik said:
NewCowboy":2mgaupik said:

IMG_0631.jpg

that aint gonna do it. that would just tease it that pasture need some serious attention.

That actualy will work. I had a pasture like that in Louisiana when I purchased the ranch and all I had to do was fertilize. I also had the soil tested and adjusted the Ph after the sage was gone.

im not understanding this at all you adjust the soil ph before the sedge grass will leave not after. thats the whole principle now depending on your soil if that amount of fertilzer is enough you can see that pasture is crying out for attention. see them cedars in the back ground im betting that field aint seen a bush hog in a few years. it will diffinitly benifit from burning

ALACOWMAN":2wkswdp2 said:
im not understanding this at all you adjust the soil ph before the sedge grass will leave not after. thats the whole principle now depending on your soil if that amount of fertilzer is enough you can see that pasture is crying out for attention. see them cedars in the back ground im betting that field aint seen a bush hog in a few years. it will diffinitly benifit from burning

I could not agree with you more. But that was something I had to learn and I had not learned that at the time I applied the fertilizer. But, the fertilizer did knock out the broom sage. Also I found out Bahila (spelling) grass does like discing. So if you need to get rid of it, use that ground for your next winter ryegress field. After a couple of years you won't have any Bahila (spelling) anymore. The same with smutt grass or, I think, any bunch grass.

ALACOWMAN":2qdc3k0u said:
see them cedars in the back ground im betting that field aint seen a bush hog in a few years. it will diffinitly benifit from burning

Actually, all of the pastures were bush hogged last summer/fall. The trees you see are on a natural ditch that runs through the property. There are plum trees, Oak trees, etc on that ditch bank all down it. They keep it from washing out more when we have heavy rain. The pasture is in need of fertilizing and lyming both according to the soil samples taken last summer. My question is this.....which may be able to be looked up but......how long do you keep the cows off of the pasture land you have just fertilized/lymed?

NCM

NewCowboy":1gmtumgp said:
ALACOWMAN":1gmtumgp said:
see them cedars in the back ground im betting that field aint seen a bush hog in a few years. it will diffinitly benifit from burning

Actually, all of the pastures were bush hogged last summer/fall. The trees you see are on a natural ditch that runs through the property. There are plum trees, Oak trees, etc on that ditch bank all down it. They keep it from washing out more when we have heavy rain. The pasture is in need of fertilizing and lyming both according to the soil samples taken last summer. My question is this.....which may be able to be looked up but......how long do you keep the cows off of the pasture land you have just fertilized/lymed?

NCM
well if you do both i would keep them off till it has good rain. some folks dont even remove the cattle.

Ok, thanks. Another question, we just burned off the adjoining pasture, is that a good time to fertilize? Do you bush hog before fertilizing and/or putting on lyme?

I just know these questions are making some readers cringe....
NCM

since your wanting to fertalize an lime.id bushhogg the pasture 1st.with the high prices of fert.you sure dont want to waste it on brush an weeds.

No problem with me. as for what i would do after burn is let the grass jump up a few inchs before i hit it with the lyme and fertilizer. the leafs will help absorb and hold in place if it were to come a heavy rain before. does this make sence to you

Yes, that makes sense to me. The fact is, we have been working with our cows for only two years now. My parents have had their cows for 35 years. They have not been able to take care of the place like they have wanted to due to working outside of the farm. My stepfather leaves before daylight and gets home after dark. So my husband has been doing what he can since he gets off work before dark. We have alot of work to do yet but we really enjoy what we are learning and doing with our cows and the land. I guess when you run out of things to do, you must be dead..... ;-) I feel in the next few years we will have our place looking good and raising some nice cattle. It takes time and patience doesn't it?

NCM

NewCowboy":fbiozm3w said:
Yes, that makes sense to me. The fact is, we have been working with our cows for only two years now. My parents have had their cows for 35 years. They have not been able to take care of the place like they have wanted to due to working outside of the farm. My stepfather leaves before daylight and gets home after dark. So my husband has been doing what he can since he gets off work before dark. We have alot of work to do yet but we really enjoy what we are learning and doing with our cows and the land. I guess when you run out of things to do, you must be dead..... ;-) I feel in the next few years we will have our place looking good and raising some nice cattle. It takes time and patience doesn't it?

NCM

You have a great attutude. I know what you are experienceing. I worked when I was developing my place. In the winter I never got home before dark. I fed at night and saw my cattle on weekends, even though I lived on the place. The weekends were work day on the ranch, every weekend. Vacations were also work days. Never took time off until we had it looking good and the pastures were top notch. It was fun for me and my son, but my wife grew tired and finially left. So keep involved and maintain that good attutude, it will pay off.

Latest posts