First calf of season has finally arrived

Help Support CattleToday:

NewCowboy

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a new calf photo. We have been waiting on a heifer to calve, but got a surprise when one of our other cows came up with this one. We are pretty sure it was born March 1 because that is the day she "disappeared".

IMG_0631.jpg

Your guess is as good as mine. I will have to take a photo of our bull for everyone's comments. He is a solid black brangus. This cow had a beautiful steer calf last year that was colored exactly the same. I hope this one is a heifer because the steer grew out very well.

NCM

Wow! You don't see that kind of ear around my parts. Good looking calf. I'd name it Dumbo. :D

Farmhand":2kvr6gwn said:
Wow! You don't see that kind of ear around my parts. Good looking calf. I'd name it Dumbo. :D

Those are not big compared to some of my parent's cows. Are ya'll trying to say we need a new bull??? :oops: :cry: :D

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":19i3r42x said:
All my brangus cows put out calves with ear like that. Even bred to a gelbvieh bull some of them put little chocolate colored calves on the ground with dumbo ears its funny. Cute as they can be though but funny. I cant see how your black brangus bull can put a white face on a calf like that though unless it had some hereford or perhaps even simmental in its bloodline somewhere.

Probably is something somewhere. We get a lot of black/white faced calves.....they also bring the best at the sale so far for us. But we also have a couple of black/white faced cows too. Even our red/white faced hereford looking cow gives us a black/white faced baby every time.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2vd8f90d said:
Also looks like that pasture needs a heavy dose of lime to kill off that sage brush.

You are trying to keep us busy aren't you? We just burned off two pastures and fertilized one. We are supposed to do "something" to this one when it is dry enough to get a tractor on it. Thanks for the info though. We have a tough time with the sage grass.

NewCowboy":y9ev5444 said:
Farmhand":y9ev5444 said:

Those are not big compared to some of my parent's cows. Are ya'll trying to say we need a new bull??? :oops: :cry: :D
Nah... I'd never try to tell you what to do. Those just don't work the best for my area. Bet mine wouldn't be the best for your area either. :D

i could see that cow having some simmental in her. ive seen the blaze face skip a generation before too.

Lots of our calves have navels too. I don't like them because we had a calf that would only try to suck on a naval on its mama, NEVER would suck on the udders....had to bottle feed that one and it was fine, but was a pain in the :shock: Dumb calf. :x

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":e61hjp1x said:
The navel comes from the brammer blood in em. Brammers have navels. That cow has to be simmentalXbrangus cross. I bet her moma was a brangus cow and her daddy was a simmental bull. That calf looks like a boston terrier. LOL.

You just named our calf.....Boston. :D

LOL...cute name. The ear comes from the brammer in em too. That calf's got on my favorite style of ear. ;-) Nice calf and congratulations.

Beefy":14gr6w4r said:
i could see that cow having some simmental in her. ive seen the blaze face skip a generation before too.

That cow has some simi blood in her. I have a few blaze heifers myself.
brocklenose.jpg

and those ears won't hurt you any at the sale barn down here. Now if you were up north a little, yes, but not down where we live. Good heifer (I'm hoping for you) new country mom!

Great looking calf!!!! Love those Brangus ears!! Thought about using a Brangus bull to get some of those in our stock. Haven't done it yet but who knows what the future will bring. Congrats on the healthy calf!

Double R

Latest posts