First calf heifer.

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
I took about 32 weaned calfs to a place we have south of here to put on pasture and sell in the fall instead of spring. When we wen't to get them 4 of the young heifers turned so wild we couldn't get them up.We planned to get a couple guys and horses to round them up,but it never came about.
They were on about 400 acres. Neighbors angus bull came in and bred 3 of them.They finnaly got through the fence to the neighbors, and he was able to get them up with his cows.We brought them home and sold the 1 and kept the 3 that were bred.The heifers are from meetmaster momma bred to angus bull. One had her calf just fine and the other went off in the edge of the woods to have hers.Seen her missing that morn so i went to find her. She looked fine checked every 2hrs and no progress. Fourth check she was laying dead and didn't even look like she was even starting to have her calf.She was laying down on her stomache with both front feet straight out and her head resting on her front legs. She is 18 months old. Took the tractor and planted her about three feet below the surface. I have the third one up in the pen.Hope it does alright.What I get for putting things off till later.

Cal

now that was a real freaker of a death loss.because you was watching the heifer.an she still didnt get the feet out.

bigbull338":1zwy6r9w said:
now that was a real freaker of a death loss.because you was watching the heifer.an she still didnt get the feet out.

Why is it such a freaker? She was missing that morning and, based on the post, she was checked 4 times at 2 hour intervals - that's 8 hours right there, and that doesn't take into consideration that this heifer could have been in labor all night, and possibility the previous evening. Doesn't sound all that freaky to me.

You can loose any of them with heifers it is a crap shoot, if you would have cut her open bet you would have found a breech, like Misscamp said she could have been in labor a long time.

msscamp":16d5nmu3 said:
bigbull338":16d5nmu3 said:

Why is it such a freaker? She was missing that morning and, based on the post, she was checked 4 times at 2 hour intervals - that's 8 hours right there, and that doesn't take into consideration that this heifer could have been in labor all night, and possibility the previous evening. Doesn't sound all that freaky to me.
well because if you didnt see her straining an pushing youd assume with no feet showing that she wasnt in labor.if you dont see feet you cant pull calf.now if she hadnt calved by evening.you couldve got her up an checked her.but she died.so i call that a freaker death loss.

bigbull338":2j0xji1n said:
msscamp":2j0xji1n said:
bigbull338":2j0xji1n said:

well because if you didnt see her straining an pushing youd assume with no feet showing that she wasnt in labor.if you dont see feet you cant pull calf.now if she hadnt calved by evening.you couldve got her up an checked her.but she died.so i call that a freaker death loss.

No, I wouldn't assume that. Given the circumcstances, I would assume just the opposite - that something was wrong. A breech birth does not produce feet - despite the heifers best attempts to do so - but that does not mean she is not in labor, nor does it mean that the calf cannot be pulled. It just means that you will lose the calf if you don't intervene fairly quickly, and you will lose both if you don't intervene at all.

Latest posts