First calf heifer rough deliver

Help Support CattleToday:

SuzieQ might be a little harsh, but RichardL you are not getting the point. No one is upset that you are feeding the calf. We/they are just trying to help you do it a better, less expensive, more permanent solution. Sure the vet said you are doing it right - you are feeding the calf - that's right. But there is a better way to handle the problem, and that is putting the calf on the dam.
There have been many on these boards that have tried to get a heifer to take her calf unsuccessfully, but most of the time it is as simple as working with them one time.
If you didn't have a head lock or any way to confine the cow, that would be different and we would advise you to invest in some type of facility. But, you told us you had a headlock. If you could get her in it 3 days later, why not do it the first day? We're not there & we can't "see" why you would spend the time to mix up a bottle, feed the calf, push the calf towards mom - (all takes time), but is unwilling to simply put the cow in the chute, put a rope around her flank (not at all dangerous - use a cane to grab the rope under her bellie), sinch it up tight - now cow cannot kick, can't really move around very much because she does not have good control of picking up her hind legs - get the calf sucking a bottle, then your finger, leading it to the teat, get teat in mouth - the end.
Now you have a cow that is drying up, costing you money (a year's worth of $$$) and a calf that is going to get costly to feed.
I commend you on making sure the calf was fed, but you came on here for advice and ignored the true best thing to do.
BTW - a calf only needs colostrum the first 24 hours and does not need electrolites at all unless it has started scouring.

I would not say immature, shes 2.5 years old. Shes on the small side and all my other heifers calfed with no problems at all. out of 6 calves, 5 were very small 50lbs range. Even my older cows had very samll calves. Why she had such a big calf ? dunno. she the sister to one of the other heifers that had no problems and had a small calf. He was on the 70lb + :cowboy:

RICHARDL":37gnu266 said:
I would not say immature, shes 2.5 years old. Shes on the small side and all my other heifers calfed with no problems at all. out of 6 calves, 5 were very small 50lbs range. Even my older cows had very samll calves. Why she had such a big calf ? dunno. she the sister to one of the other heifers that had no problems and had a small calf. He was on the 70lb + :cowboy:
That's where the old bell curve will bite your butt. All of our bulls calves have run 50-75 pounds except for 1 101 heifer calf out of a heifer. Her siters, mother and grandmother all had small calves, but for some reason things just lined up wierd.

Now my bull was kinda smallish but in the last year or so he's really come on Do you think there something to that? Yea go figure out of the 4 heifers she the smallest and has the biggest calf and she was the one i was worried about i guess for good reason. I guess maybe a lot of factors come into play
:cowboy:

Latest posts