First calf heifer calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
How much rope do you guys/gals give to first calf heifers on a small first calf? Do you give them a chance on a second calf if the first was poor?

For example you have a first calf hiefer calve out a bull, the calf has an average weight gain 1.75 lbs per day. You have several third, fourth and fifth calve cows with bull calve that average 2.35 to 2.6 lbs per day (all calves under the same conditions). Will you give the first calf heifer another chance?

Hope it's clear enough to understand... I know what I mean :roll:

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":1xiagubv said:
How much rope do you guys/gals give to first calf heifers on a small first calf? Do you give them a chance on a second calf if the first was poor?

For example you have a first calf hiefer calve out a bull, the calf has an average weight gain 1.75 lbs per day. You have several third, fourth and fifth calve cows with bull calve that average 2.35 to 2.6 lbs per day (all calves under the same conditions). Will you give the first calf heifer another chance?

Thanks,
Alan

Yes I do, you have to remember the she is still growing also. I have made the mistake of selling some heifers too soon. I don't want to do that again, but sooner or later some will have to be sold but the right ones sold at the right time. I am a purebred breeder and it seems it takes a long time to develop a good herd of registered cows, thats why I am patient to a degree with my first calvers.

On the first calf, I am more interested in the cow re-breeding on time than the first calf's weaning weight.

csm

In our herd that heifer would be on the edge of being culled. From past experience I have learned that heifers that do not raise a calf that had an ADG of at least 1.8 lb/day usually do not improve enough in the following year to stay in the herd. But, I will give a little leeway to a heifer that had twins, or was sick, or if her calf was sick enough at some point that it may have affected the growth.

yes you give her a second chance.the heifer herself is growing as she raises a calf.an that calf will be lighter.

Had a 2 year old wean a 430 lb calf this year with the same bull the calf weaned at 650. Some of them just deseerve a second chance

i would give a second chance too. we have a heifer who raised a poor calf this year. She to is thin from growing, raising a calf and soon to be known if she bred back. But she is hitting the dusty trail. Not cause the calf is smaller than average, or she is thin or if she bred back, but because she was a poor choice of a keeper and her bag is looking like her momma's bag...awful.
on a hijack note just got of the phone with the auctioneer at our local auction mart. Things don't look so good. Cows dropped 10cents now down to 30cents/lb. heiffers 4-600 weight 80-90 and steers 4-600 weight 90-1.00. yeesssh.
And he said he could sell about 10 000 bred cows right now cause everyone wants to sell.
So factor that into you decision.

Follow up on this question, the fact that you would use a low BW bull on the heifer aren't you sacrificing some growth also. I know there are several exceptions to this (curve benders), but for the most part I feel the low bw bull has a big impact too.

I started with all heifers.

I'm forgiving. But if she weans a small calf and then doesn't breed back with others, I put her on the definite maybe list.

I'd give the girl a break. Those 1st calf heifers get a lot of credit just for getting the thing here & taking care of it by themselves- plus breeding back. Keep in mind their milk production should also improve after that 1st year. I vote keep her if she did all the things a cow is supposed to do.

If I am doing my math right that means that as a six month old calf it is under 400 pounds, to me that is tiny. You are in a drought down there though so that is a factor. I'd be looking at the size of the heifer, the bull you put her with and the heifers age. If she is small, the bull was small with a low BW and the heifer wasn't very old when you bred her I would probably give her a break unless you need a good excuse to add another one to the shipping list. If she is a big, older heifer and the calf had a BW over 70 pounds I would be looking twice I think.

Alan":1sr7tbmz said:

Thanks,
Alan

Some I do some I don't depends on the BCS the cow maintains while nursing. I want to she her pull down to a BCS of 4.5 to 5 making milk, if she is really maintaining condition she is not producing enough milk to beef.

ive got a cow thats a heavy milker.but in all fairness she is a beefmaster.she has a 4 month old heifer calf on her.an the calf will weigh 350 to 400 or more.an the cow is fat an sassy as she raises her calf.

I'd give her a second chance as well. Sometimes the genetics just don't "click". She may have a great calf with a different bull as well.

Alan":dex95hkn said:

Thanks,
Alan

A first calf heifer usually requires special handling, because she is still growing and developing herself. If she is in with the main herd of mature cows, she usually does not get the feed necessary to allow her to continue growing, developing, and support her calf. We did not judge a first calf heifer by her calf, unless we had the facilities to seperate the first calf heifers from the main herd, and feed them according to their needs. Does that make sense?