Fire ants

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
A neighbor went to Brownsville, TX, and to "thank" me for watching his place, he brought me back a nice 5 foot palm tree.....full of fire ants! How do I kill them without killing the plant? I have been spraying the outside of the container with ant killer, but they are crawling out of the dirt. Putting it outside is not an option in the winter in SD.

Dee,

Sevin will kill the ants. See if you can get some high strength wetable sevin and mix up strong. Pour all over the root ball container.

There is no telling how many USDA laws ya'll broke by transporting the palm tree from Texas to SD. The hay guys have been fined (and even turned around) when trying to haul hay north out of Texas. They are afraid of spreading the fire ants up north.

Unless those fire ants can get inside a building or other warm environment, I don't THINK they'll survive the winter.

I went to a Fire ant symposium a while back and one of the speakers said that fire ants have traveled as far north as the can and survive.

But then again, I was shocked to have seen so many mosquitos above the Artic Circle too!

If those ants survive, you'll wish you had burned the danged palm!

Dee I would get rid of the palm and spray the ants and hope you get them all.
Got bit by one in SC. Not a pleasant experience, I about came out of my shoes it hurt that bad.

Get some Orthene fire ant killer (Acephate). Follow the label directions. It will do the job quickly. It will also stink to high heaven so do not use indoors.

jw":1w4angbc said:
Get some Orthene fire ant killer (Acephate). Follow the label directions. It will do the job quickly. It will also stink to high heaven so do not use indoors.

jw is correct, it will do the job very quickly.
Also correct about the smell :).

Dee":3dw5h314 said:
A neighbor went to Brownsville, TX, and to "thank" me for watching his place, he brought me back a nice 5 foot palm tree.....full of fire ants! How do I kill them without killing the plant? I have been spraying the outside of the container with ant killer, but they are crawling out of the dirt. Putting it outside is not an option in the winter in SD.

I believe I would throw the plant outside rather than taking the chance on them surviving and getting outside next spring but, since that does not appear to be an option, I would mix me up a good, strong batch of Sevin, soak the container extremely well with it, and pray. Since they are crawling out of the dirt, I think I would also spray the house. Just out of curiosity, how in the world can you sleep at night knowing these things are in your house?

I would get rid of that plant as quik as i could,by taking it outside and burning it. I would not tell anyone about it.I don't know if fire ants will survive up there but in case they do I wouldnt let it be known I started them.

Cal

Update......I bought Sevin last night, and treated the plant. This morning I see nothing crawling. (Nobody had Acephate.) If I see anymore ants, the palm will get a nice misting of gas and go to the burn pile.

There is always the real posibility the fire ants the treatment
didn't kill will just move to another bed/nest/home.

Dee":270nxhyr said:
If I see anymore ants, the palm will get a nice misting of gas and go to the burn pile.

Should that occasion arise, may I suggest substituting diesel fuel for gas? Burns just as well, but with far less complications - trust me on this!

OK-calm down!! Unless you got a nest compleat with a queen,you should be all right.. My greatest fear is that I'll fall outside and not be found right away. :( I even pay 50.00 a month for one of those pushbuttons around the neck! Fireants are the work of the devil. :shock:

Latest posts