Finishing ration?

Help Support CattleToday:

scvfd_7241

Reaction score
I have recently purchased 15 650# steers. I currently have them on a 14% feed at 1% of their body weight. I store the grain in a feed bin and Feed in fence line bunks by hand out of buckets. Im selling these steers by the Quaters, half, or whole, processing starts mid November. So eventually I need to switch them over to a finishing ration. So my questions are: when to switch, and can I add corn whole or cracked to the 14% feed and use as a finishing ration, how much of each?

I would put them on full feed around June 1. You can use the 14% ration and add corn to it, eventually getting to 50/50 14% ration to corn for the last 100 days. Weigh the calves periodically and they should be cleaning up 2.5% of body weight when on full feed.

I would put them on full feed around June 1. You can use the 14% ration and add corn to it, eventually getting to 50/50 14% ration to corn for the last 100 days. Weigh the calves periodically and they should be cleaning up 2.5% of body weight when on full feed.
Whole corn or cracked corn?

Cost/availability on whatever corn product you choose. I'd also suggest (you don't mention it) that they have access to plenty of free choice hay/roughage, as well as clean water.
They do have free choice hay now and will continue to. Thank you for the reply

I would put them on full feed around June 1. You can use the 14% ration and add corn to it, eventually getting to 50/50 14% ration to corn for the last 100 days.
For a point of reference: the 4th of July to mid November is 133 days and I'd suggest full feed finishing ration for at least the last 100 days.
August 1 - November 15 is 106 days.

I have recently purchased 15 650# steers. I currently have them on a 14% feed at 1% of their body weight. I store the grain in a feed bin and Feed in fence line bunks by hand out of buckets. Im selling these steers by the Quaters, half, or whole, processing starts mid November. So eventually I need to switch them over to a finishing ration. So my questions are: when to switch, and can I add corn whole or cracked to the 14% feed and use as a finishing ration, how much of each?
I would look at "Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle" E-974 . It tells you how many mcal neg / protein you need. You need to know how much energy your 14% feed has. It should work for finishing eventually, and the publication I mentioned will help you know how to scale corn up in your ration. Where I am concerned is on the light end, if they are eating around 2.5% of there body weights 1.5% of what they eat is hay so it needs be good hay or you will have poor performance. You could even stunt there growth; if they aren't gaining over 1.5 lbs a day.

For a point of reference: the 4th of July to mid November is 133 days and I'd suggest full feed finishing ration for at least the last 100 days.
August 1 - November 15 is 106 days.
Butch, most of the cattle coming out of the feedyards have 150+ days on feed. That may change with the price of corn as we will see the weights at placing on feed go up to 900 to 1000 lbs. Packers are still going to want to harvest 1350 to 1450 lb. cattle.

Butch, most of the cattle coming out of the feedyards have 150+ days on feed. That may change with the price of corn as we will see the weights at placing on feed go up to 900 to 1000 lbs. Packers are still going to want to harvest 1350 to 1450 lb. cattle.
yes, and close reading will show I only emphasized your recommendation of 100 days on finishing ration, to 100 days as a minimum.

650 lb steers with 229 days to slaughter, 229 x 3 lbs day = 687+650 = 1337 lbs
they will need to be pushed harder to make ideal weight in time.

Last edited:
14% may be what they need now, but by the time they are 900#, corn alone with quality grass hay is all they need - with a good mineral also.
I only feed whole shell corn, but go with the cheapest. I feed WSC to my show string also, along with additives - but WSC is the main basis for their feed ration.

Latest posts