Finish feed

Help Support CattleToday:

bo96319

Reaction score
Hello all
I am looking for opinions on how to feed my future Brangus before they go see the butcher…I will let them graze in the pastures for the next 10 months or so then start them on the "finish feed". Corn, rolled oats, grain, and sweet feed…what works? I am going to pick up 3 calves in the next ten days and I was just wandering how to finish them. I have plenty of time and the first cow is going on my table, then, the other two I would like to sell so I can buy 3 more and so on. Will corn give the meat a different flavor than grain? Any information you wish to share is appreciated.
Thanx
Bo

I would stay around a 10 % protien and use more corn rather than oats or barley. In my opinion they are hier in protein and lower in the enrgy department. Googgle feed rations and you will find some designs. Just keep in mind to reach the roughage tha animal needs. I said all that and heres one that I have had some success with. These are % based on pounds/100. 44 cracked corn, 44 rolled oats, 11 protein pelets(32%), salt-mineral .6, and addtitives like bovatec .4.

Scotty

We processed steers this morning that were finished on cracked corn and alfalfa...even 1/4" of fat on the whole carcasses with heavier deposits KPH, rear, back and brisket.
Started at 90 days on corn and finiched with 20# corn and 10# alfalfa for the last two weeks.
Some folks say that the corn leaves a less "beefy" taste...I haven't noticed.....DMc

Yes, corn is higher in energy than oats or barley but will require more protein supplimentation which is expensive. 10% protein is too low in my opinion. I would recomend a level of 13% in a finishing ration.
Had a look at Scotty's suggested ration. It comes out at 12.5 ME and 12% protein.

Cattle over 800# (or so) do not need protein over 9%. So a steer/heifer to be finished out only needs straight whole CORN and a good quality GRASS hay. Protein is for growing cattle, carbs is for finishing.
There is always a debate as to whether you should feed whole corn because if you do - you see whole corn in their manure. The cattle have acquired all the nutrients out of that kernal. This has been researched & researched - cattle can process cracked corn 8% more efficiently than whole corn. So, if you can purchase large cracked corn (not powdery cracked corn), at more than 8% cheaper than whole corn, go for it.
Like Dun said in a previous thread - the cracked corn is still in the manure - you just can't see it as well.
Feeding oats is a waste of your money to finishing cattle. Oats have the same food value as hay. They are a very safe grain to feed to young stock, because they won't get sick on it.
And by the way, CORN is grain. :shock: :lol: Haven't you heard the expression " CORN fed beef" - that's the best kind!

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Cattle over 800# (or so) do not need protein over 9%. So a steer/heifer to be finished out only needs straight whole CORN and a good quality GRASS hay. Protein is for growing cattle, carbs is for finishing.
quote]

I guess this depends on what kind of weights you want the cattle to finish at. I would consider that an 800lb steer still has a lot of growing to do.

Yes, you're right. I'm saying by the time they reach 800#, they do not need the high protein - all the way to finish - which I would look for around 1200-1350#.
Of course, I would never put them on grass for 10 months. We recommend taking 600-800# weaned calves & put them straight on a finishing ration to be finished out at 12-14 months old (after they have been preconditioned).

As I thought...it is a matter of preference (to a point)…I found some 600# Brangus calfs available @ $1.25 per pound. I will let them graze on Bermuda grass, for now, and rye grass this winter. So they can graze all year, I have spoken to a few people here; each with a different opinion (of course each person's method is the "ONLY' way to get good beef) I personally don't know if I could taste the difference between finish fed beef or beef that was 100% grass grazed. However; your information has been helpful.
Thanks,
Bo

bo96319":3rjdzckc said:
As I thought...it is a matter of preference (to a point)…I found some 600# Brangus calfs available @ $1.25 per pound. I will let them graze on Bermuda grass, for now, and rye grass this winter. So they can graze all year, I have spoken to a few people here; each with a different opinion (of course each person's method is the "ONLY' way to get good beef) I personally don't know if I could taste the difference between finish fed beef or beef that was 100% grass grazed. However; your information has been helpful.
Thanks,
Bo

I believe you can tell the difference fat is the flavor fat comes from corn and adding lbs quickly i believe and another thing until i started reading these forums ive never heard of so many people pasture feeding everyone around here in indiana we put em on feed right off of weaning
no real backgrounding
just process and start feeding them
400 lbs
500 lbs

Latest posts