Finding pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Ben04

Reaction score
Looking for ideas, suggestions, or experiences with how to go about finding pasture to rent. I'm not in the cattle business right now, I had a hand in the dairy business a few years ago. I'm in northwest Kansas, most everything here goes by the section, not the acre. I'm hoping to buy 5 mommas to get started. How does a man find grass for just a few cows? Ultimate goal is to make it full time at cows/ farming, this is the start. In advance, I appreciate your response.

Ben04":3gmvnrxr said:
Looking for ideas, suggestions, or experiences with how to go about finding pasture to rent. I'm not in the cattle business right now, I had a hand in the dairy business a few years ago. I'm in northwest Kansas, most everything here goes by the section, not the acre. I'm hoping to buy 5 mommas to get started. How does a man find grass for just a few cows? Ultimate goal is to make it full time at cows/ farming, this is the start. In advance, I appreciate your response.

No offense Ben but you are better off trying to find a kidney donor than pasture. It's tighter than a ticks butt everywhere!

Ben04":25dsut71 said:

You find a section or two and I'll lease it and you can run 5 head for free

Seriously Ben. Send me a PM with your phone number. I may be able to give you a couple of names!

Here this year I have found alot of pastures to lease.... BUT they only wanted horses there no cattle said they smell too bad.. While speaking with them they did give me the fields to cut for hay for free till they find a horse person to rent it.

skyhightree1":1y1r8q9l said:
Here this year I have found alot of pastures to lease.... BUT they only wanted horses there no cattle said they smell too bad.. While speaking with them they did give me the fields to cut for hay for free till they find a horse person to rent it.

Around here if you lease pasture for horses you get no ag exemption. It changes things when it works that way. Did you mention to them what horses do to their pasture compared to cattle

I did tell them but they didn't care but I am hoping that they will change there mind and if so I will rent it but honestly now I got way more pasture land than I have cattle to graze it lol I like to get my land leases for 5 years at a time so that way I will have it for a while maybe I will get more cattle soon.

3waycross":4cr6f2co said:
Ben04":4cr6f2co said:

No offense Ben but you are better off trying to find a kidney donor than pasture. It's tighter than a ticks butt everywhere!
Thats about how i see it.

You might also consider running your handful in with someone else's and either pay them or help with labor or feed expense. Show up to my place with 5 cows and a semi load of hay we would work a deal !!!!!!!

Then would a man have more of an opportunity of renting corn/ Milo stalk ground and running calves on it until they have to come off? Another idea is to rent tillable ground and graze calves on wheat. I worked for an outfit that that's all they did, run calves on wheat and grass. Just looking at opportunities to get into farming, if cows can be put in there somehow, be even better.

You have to be aggressive and think about what the landowners will benefit. Do they want to get a tax savings, want the land looked after, or just want to see cows? Play to what they want. Search out owners of land you see and write letters or make phone calls. Build a good rep and then they will start looking for you instead of the other way around

Ben04":23q1zls9 said:
Then would a man have more of an opportunity of renting corn/ Milo stalk ground and running calves on it until they have to come off? Another idea is to rent tillable ground and graze calves on wheat. I worked for an outfit that that's all they did, run calves on wheat and grass. Just looking at opportunities to get into farming, if cows can be put in there somehow, be even better.
I don't know that as much what kind of ground you would take, as much as it is renting any kind of ground is very hard to get done, not trying to discourage you at all, but it isn't easy.

denvermartinfarms":1qzvx342 said:
Ben04":1qzvx342 said:
what kind of ground you would take, as much as it is renting any kind of ground is very hard to get done, not trying to discourage you at all, but it isn't easy.

I agree with denver and as hook said build a reputation.. I just leased alot of row crop land this year for the next 5 years the only way I got the land was from being a friend of a farmer that retired from farming and he spoke up to all the land owners and put his name on the line stating i would be a great person to lease there lands and would manage it as if it were my own. You gotta get out there and talk to people and get to know people make your presence known and your intentions known by putting lil bugs in peoples ears and they will look out for you.

Latest posts