Finally

Help Support CattleToday:

Where I grew up in CT and VT we called them by the total number of points, on white tail deer. Here in Va they also call them by total number of points. I was told that elk were always called by the number on each side... hence a 4x5 or whatever it was. I just assumed it was the way elk were scored. An "atypical" deer here, with weird antlers is called by the total number of points. We had 2 on the farm next to us that the owner saw and took pictures of , that was an 11 and a 13; 2 years ago. I think someone got one last year, heard rumors that someone got a 13 pt buck.... and they haven't been seen since. They were always together... might have been sibs... but if you saw one you saw them both. Haven't heard about the other. I saw 2 together 3 years ago and they were far enough away I couldn't count but they had big racks and lots of points... I figure it was those 2 at the time.

In Colorado we counted one side. When Colorado had the three point or better on one side rule that was hard to pick out a third point. I may have passed up several bucks that had enough points but I could not tell if it was a point being seen from the other side, or even sometimes a peace of sage brush behind him.

I am real particular on does I take. We have had problems with lepto since the hog infestation.
I try real hard with game cameras to identify does that didn't raise fawns or seem to be in exceptional good shape.
Neighbors lease has adopted the same policy, we have killed several mature does that have never lactated.

I am real particular on does I take. We have had problems with lepto since the hog infestation.
I try real hard with game cameras to identify does that didn't raise fawns or seem to be in exceptional good shape.
Neighbors lease has adopted the same policy, we have killed several mature does that have never lactated.
My shooting guidelines change a lot based off of where I hunt. I have a property where I practice QDM. Others, I shoot whatever looks good. When I hunt public land, I just kill legal deer, first one I see.

20 gauge is perfectly adequate for deer, I'm not sure what you are talking about. Some people even use them for "kid guns" for elk, stoked with slugs.

Kinda like the people here who were surprised he used buckshot... but it's in the name...
20 gauge slug for deer I can see working well....didn't know the #1 buck- 9 balls would be sufficient to land a deer...especially if the shot was farther away. I'd still want a rifle with scope just for those longer shots.

20 gauge slug for deer I can see working well....didn't know the #1 buck- 9 balls would be sufficient to land a deer...especially if the shot was farther away. I'd still want a rifle with scope just for those longer shots.
He shot the deer at 45 yards. If that's far for you, I'll make you an offer on all your guns in cash today.

The counting all the points vs the points on one side is eastern count vs western count. Been that way since before i first had a license in the early 60's. In the west we don't count the eye guards or brow tines either. So a 4 point with eye guard points is still a 4 point not a 5 point or 10 point. I have shot several nice 3 point whitetail bucks that eastern people would call an 8 point. But I shot them in Washington state so they are 3 points.

The counting all the points vs the points on one side is eastern count vs western count. Been that way since before i first had a license in the early 60's. In the west we don't count the eye guards or brow tines either. So a 4 point with eye guard points is still a 4 point not a 5 point or 10 point. I have shot several nice 3 point whitetail bucks that eastern people would call an 8 point. But I shot them in Washington state so they are 3 points.
Call them whatever, the BC count is still what it is.

Call them whatever, the BC count is still what it is.
Most people here very very rarely measure one for BC. I have one neighbor with one in the book. Other neighbors who have bucks just as big who have never bothered to put a tape to them. They are all just nice 4 points with a 30 inch spread.

No, it's been my experience..i'm never 45 yards from it....i need an edge. Hoss sneaks up on things...he's cloaked.
I have dropped them at 70 as well back in the dog days.
My old model 97 will put 12 out of 16 in a 9" plate at 50 yards.
I shot an old doe at 67 steps 12 #1's went in the left rib cage 10 came out. That girl got hit by 12 .30 caliber balls and fell black flag dead.
This boy aged 8 by the biologist was 20 steps from the load of double aught.
You can see where he caught the load right front shoulder.
D6983290-4294-4B31-ACE3-6C3B3F545574.jpeg

I took this buck in Coleman County, I wish I would of had a scale to weigh him, me n the grandson could barely drag him.
He aged out at 51/2 years old cull 8.
We didn't see but one more shooter, he just couldn't get an ethical shot at him.

Attachments

• 2B9AD1CC-8ADD-4768-BBD4-4B6B7C7FFBDA.jpeg
    2B9AD1CC-8ADD-4768-BBD4-4B6B7C7FFBDA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27

Latest posts