Finally

Help Support CattleToday:

I have never hunted deer with a shotgun, never could get that close in Northwest Colorado. My first buck I shot was with a 30-30 open sights at about 75 yards. Everything else was over a hundred yards. My longest shot was about 400 yards, but I'm not really sure of the distance; I was on one ridge shooting across to the other ridge. By that time I upgraded to a 30-06. I stopped hunting because I could never get my wife to cook; oh she talked a good game, but was just to lazy to cook, and I hated cooking. Had all my deer meat turned into summer sausage.

This pos and cat fell the same day to a Winchester 1200 20 gauge. Cat was close to 60 yards.
If I own a shotgun and I can't tune it to pattern buckshot at fifty yards it's gone.
E416D582-546A-4802-8D93-411C09691633.jpeg620F9F0A-C9C6-4DA0-8A9B-EAB75BD5B268.jpeg

Impressive 20 gauge shot....you're a bold man to be hunting deer with a 20 gauge. Reasoning?...was that shotgun handier than the 12 gauge? Maybe on your way to hunt lighter game? Please don't tell me that was the most "cost effective" shot.
20 gauge is perfectly adequate for deer, I'm not sure what you are talking about. Some people even use them for "kid guns" for elk, stoked with slugs.

Kinda like the people here who were surprised he used buckshot... but it's in the name...

Never waste a good thought.
I have killed them with a 28 #4 buckshot that's a .24 caliber pellet running at them . Sixteen #4 are a 28 gauge load 26 a 12 gauge load. Farthest I ever killed one with a shotgun was with #4 buckshot.
I wasn't deer hunting with the 28 when the opportunity presented itself like today.
I didn't have one barrel loaded with buckshot today, I was looking for timber doodles while squirrel hunting. Those birds tend to require two shots from me.

I have killed them with a 28 #4 buckshot that's a .24 caliber pellet running at them . Sixteen #4 are a 28 gauge load 26 a 12 gauge load. Farthest I ever killed one with a shotgun was with #4 buckshot.
I wasn't deer hunting with the 28 when the opportunity presented itself like today.
I didn't have one barrel loaded with buckshot today, I was looking for timber doodles while squirrel hunting. Those birds tend to require two shots from me.
Man, so this one time when I was a teen I got picked up off a stand by a relative who shall remain unnamed. We were riding back to the camper on a 4-wheeler, which I don't care for. We were riding down a field edge when a wonky cowhorn traipsed out and stopped. He leveled on him with his 4-wheeler gun, an 870 stoked with 2 3/4 inch #4 Remington buck. He let one fly about where the head meets the neck and the cowhorn went down but something didn't feel right to me. We walked up and I said "Are you sure it's dead?" because the shot could have easily paced past 60 and his eyes weren't fully open, which my grandfather had taught me was usually a sign the deer was still alive (closed eyes). He was sure, and I was younger by 30 years, so I just said Powder River let 'er buck and grabbed a set of legs with him. Swung old boy up on the rear rack and I climbed up there holding the legs braced against me for the ride. We made about 10 feet and the cowhorn decided to drop the act. He went to kicking me with those ginzu knives they call hooves, a thick hunting jacket saving me from much of it. We baled off and I cut his throat (the deer's) and went to remount and by God, he come back for round three (or two, matter of perspective). Well, I yanked that snakey SOB (the deer, again) off of that 4-wheeler and I demanded he be shot again. He was promptly given a high velocity transoccipital lead implant and I'll bet it was another five minutes we spent watching him before we carried on loading him again. I'm not sure what the moral of the story is, but I accepted the whiskey offered by the adults at the camp that night.

Man, so this one time when I was a teen I got picked up off a stand by a relative who shall remain unnamed. We were riding back to the camper on a 4-wheeler, which I don't care for. We were riding down a field edge when a wonky cowhorn traipsed out and stopped. He leveled on him with his 4-wheeler gun, an 870 stoked with 2 3/4 inch #4 Remington buck. He let one fly about where the head meets the neck and the cowhorn went down but something didn't feel right to me. We walked up and I said "Are you sure it's dead?" because the shot could have easily paced past 60 and his eyes weren't fully open, which my grandfather had taught me was usually a sign the deer was still alive (closed eyes). He was sure, and I was younger by 30 years, so I just said Powder River let 'er buck and grabbed a set of legs with him. Swung old boy up on the rear rack and I climbed up there holding the legs braced against me for the ride. We made about 10 feet and the cowhorn decided to drop the act. He went to kicking me with those ginzu knives they call hooves, a thick hunting jacket saving me from much of it. We baled off and I cut his throat (the deer's) and went to remount and by God, he come back for round three (or two, matter of perspective). Well, I yanked that snakey SOB (the deer, again) off of that 4-wheeler and I demanded he be shot again. He was promptly given a high velocity transoccipital lead implant and I'll bet it was another five minutes we spent watching him before we carried on loading him again. I'm not sure what the moral of the story is, but I accepted the whiskey offered by the adults at the camp that night.
Good laugh thanks.
Note shoot buckshot at the shoulder to put the pellets in the boiler room.
Average Foot pounds energy is around 1600 lbs tremendous knockdown and shock.