Finally

Help Support CattleToday:

This is only the third buck I know of killed by anyone I know.
Neighbor has a 7K acre lease across the road from me, they have got two.
Acorns are so plentiful you can't trap hogs.

You'll win this year I guess cb
I probably won't kill a mature buck this year. The extreme drought here . We are in one of the most extreme areas of the state. Due to The lack of good groceries the bucks just ain't all they can be. I might shoot a young spike that's been hanging around but with to many deer I plan to take 10- 15 does off the place this year. Mostly the grandkids and a few customers. I did get feeling a little bloody the other morning and stretched out the STW for fun and jerky.
IMG_20221121_090334.jpg

Been chasing this boy since bow season.
We met this evening on his path to his bedroom. Load of #1 buckshot from a 20 gauge 45 yards.
View attachment 23129
Nice buck. I wouldn't think anyone would shoot a deer with buckshot. Hopefully, it wasn't lead buckshot. Shooting with lead buckshot puts a lot of lead in the meat and lead isn't good for humans to eat, or for anything else to eat for that matter. And it is especially bad for children.

Nice buck. I wouldn't think anyone would shoot a deer with buckshot. Hopefully, it wasn't lead buckshot. Shooting with lead buckshot puts a lot of lead in the meat and lead isn't good for humans to eat, or for anything else to eat for that matter. And it is especially bad for children.
I have literally killed hundreds with buckshot in my lifetime.
No one owned a rifle except a 22 when I was growing up.
I haven't killed 10 deer in my life in East Texas with a rifle.
Well if it's bad for kids lead shot raised seven of us along with I raised five on game it took. I tell what lead is bad for, deer, squirrels, rabbits, ducks, geese and hogs. I didn't know you were supposed to eat beef till I was nearly grown.

Do you normally hunt with buckshot? We have been strictly shotgun slugs. I have a Remington 1100 20 ga. Couple years ago, they opened our county/area to rifle. I now have a Tikka 243. Love it.
This is the crap I normally hunt in. A 50-60 yard shot is a long shot here, unless you're on a pipeline. These deer won't stand in an opening makes them nervous in this thicket.
D1BACFC7-0A9A-4756-BEA4-24AB9E682032.jpeg
That buck I shot yesterday was what we consider open woods where you can get a fifty yard shot.
This is a pattern of double aught at 50 yards, no two shotguns pattern the same so you have to find what size buckshot yours like.
Growing up shotgun had to put 3/4 of the pellets in a 9" plate at fifty yards. We deer hunted almost exclusively with dogs until it was outlawed. That separated the men from boys on who could shoot.07B45E25-6C13-4E81-AEDD-B5FCC6CD9703.jpeg
Paper companies lobbying got it outlawed. It was only practiced in 10 counties of East Texas inhabited by hillbillies.
They couldn't get the city hunter to pay lease with us running through the woods.
That's actually how the handle Caustic and Acid come about.
We were making a drive and I was the flanker. Seen a guy come out of a box stand ( first I ever seen) he was giving the driver heck. I topped the hill and he went to running.
Now I am confused so I ask what that was about, partner said it was a Baptist preacher that had leased the land from Houston. During their heated exchange my partner told the preacher I was going to be coming over that hill and his little brother Caustic would kill him. This is how I was dressed, late 70's I am 30 ish bet that preacher thought he was in deliverance.
A60DC8C8-BB51-4A66-9ADC-A33BFE898758.jpeg

Congrats! Nice looking buck . Watched 7 does and fawns and 4 bucks Saturday afternoon from my son's shooting house on his farm . 1 nice 8 pt but I'm hoping my grandson or granddaughter get a shot at him . Before grandkids I'd punched that one ! I've seen 1 deer since and it was a doe acting like she was being chased. Little early for our rut so I'm not sure what was up with her .

Congrats! Nice looking buck . Watched 7 does and fawns and 4 bucks Saturday afternoon from my son's shooting house on his farm . 1 nice 8 pt but I'm hoping my grandson or granddaughter get a shot at him . Before grandkids I'd punched that one ! I've seen 1 deer since and it was a doe acting like she was being chased. Little early for our rut so I'm not sure what was up with her .
Out of eight grandkids my youngest granddaughter is the hunter.
Girl will spend hours after one.
She got a better one than me again this year.
04D07584-D586-4A44-9811-E2FBD9D8C113.jpeg

I've killed some 9's but never a 10 . Good job little lady !
She hunts out of Jim Wells county next to the King Ranch.
We don't even have deer like that here.
Year before buck another 10.

Attachments

• 9EC9E643-F83F-4FC6-A382-A7413CCB383E.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 29
Been chasing this boy since bow season.
We met this evening on his path to his bedroom. Load of #1 buckshot from a 20 gauge 45 yards.
View attachment 23129
Impressive 20 gauge shot....you're a bold man to be hunting deer with a 20 gauge. Reasoning?...was that shotgun handier than the 12 gauge? Maybe on your way to hunt lighter game? Please don't tell me that was the most "cost effective" shot.

Impressive 20 gauge shot....you're a bold man to be hunting deer with a 20 gauge. Reasoning?...was that shotgun handier than the 12 gauge? Maybe on your way to hunt lighter game? Please don't tell me that was the most "cost effective" shot.
The buckshot is traveling at the same speed out a 28 gauge or 10 gauge 1200 to 1300 fps . The only difference is payload be it 7/8 ounce or 1 1/2 ounce.
Shotguns are about patterns not payloads that is why so many shoot poorly.
Nine #1 buckshot in the shoulder is the same out the 20 or the 10 gauge.
I haven't shot a 12 gauge since dogs were outlawed.
That old Model 97 has hundreds under its belt.
Many of those deer came off what today is FM 357 in the Alabama Creek WMA.
FM 357 was a dirt road then.
My go to is a Browning BPS 16, then my double 20 gauge.
I have been reloading shotguns for 50 years my buckshot recipes have been tested by BPI.

Latest posts