fifth wheel versus gooseneck

Help Support CattleToday:

whiskyb

Reaction score
I am currently looking at a 20' gooseneck stock trailer. My truck is a 2001 F350 dually diesel with a fifth wheel hitch already in the bed. Is their a reason that all (all that I have seen anyway) cattle trailers use the gooseneck 2 5/16 ball as opposed to the fifth wheel style that campers use. I can by adapters to use my bed rails and install a ball or one to convert the trailer. Any opinions on the best way to go

Thanks,
Bryan

whiskyb":35qxifpd said:
I am currently looking at a 20' gooseneck stock trailer. My truck is a 2001 F350 dually diesel with a fifth wheel hitch already in the bed. Is their a reason that all (all that I have seen anyway) cattle trailers use the gooseneck 2 5/16 ball as opposed to the fifth wheel style that campers use. I can by adapters to use my bed rails and install a ball or one to convert the trailer. Any opinions on the best way to go

Thanks,
Bryan

I've used both and haven't seen any difference. The 5th wheel hookup will keep people from wanting to borrow your trailer, but they'll want you to haul for them instead

dun

Heh never even knew there was a difference (our stock trailer is a bumper pull) until we got a camper trailer in trade for something and needed to move it. figured the neighbor with his goosneck set up could do it no prob. Of course this was the day before Christmas eve and we were planning to use the trailer for a guest house....ended up having to call a tow company to get the thing here, but they only charged 75 so it wasn't too bad but now I know!

dun":2lybrbg7 said:
whiskyb":2lybrbg7 said:

Thanks,
Bryan

I've used both and haven't seen any difference. The 5th wheel hookup will keep people from wanting to borrow your trailer, but they'll want you to haul for them instead

dun

Dun is a real smart cowpoke.... :)

whiskyb":2f21ctdh said:

Thanks,
Bryan

I'm guessing it's because of the ease of installation for the ball as opposed to the the 5th wheel. I personally like the 5th wheel because it greatly reduces the cranking needed and it's easier to hook up and release.

dun":yg9qpheq said:
whiskyb":yg9qpheq said:

Thanks,
Bryan

dun

Very true, Dun, very true! Isn't that why the word 'no', or the phrase 'I'm busy that week/month' were invented? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Most of the older 5th wheel hitches had 3,500 lb pin weight capacity and 15,000 lb load rating. Not near heavy enough for a loaded cattle trailer. I think reese makes a 30,000 lb load rating hitch but that is a low profile hitch used on medium duty trucks.

somn":3t88z40g said:
Most of the older 5th wheel hitches had 3,500 lb pin weight capacity and 15,000 lb load rating.

What is a 'pin weight capacity'? Thanks!

Another way of saying tounge weight. 5th wheels don't have a tounge just a kingpin.

somn":347sa945 said:
Another way of saying tounge weight. 5th wheels don't have a tounge just a kingpin.

Ok. I thought that might be what you were talking about, but I wasn't sure - not up on my terminology. Sorry. :oops: Thanks for the explanation. :)

I know they make an adapter to go from gooseneck (in the bed) TO 5th wheel (king pin) but I've never seen one that goes from 5th wheel to gooseneck. Buddy who works at trailer place says they get alot of these contraptions returned from not being able to take the weight. Lot to bargain with with a $25K camper. My 5th wheel hitch pivots and moves side to side. Don't really wanta see my gooseneck do that. I do have a gooseneck ball set up that pins directly to my 5th wheel rails. The 5th wheel hitch sits rith on top of it.

denoginnizer":10xjrr8i said:
Do they make an adapter that will allow a gooseneck hook up?

If you are asking about the trailer - we made our own. Dad and a welder friend simply cut off part of the traditional goose neck, then made a 5th wheel attachment that fits inside of the gooseneck part and is held by bolts on either side. Same thing for the ball attachment. Our stock trailer and flatbed trailer can be switched back and forth between 5th wheel or traditional gooseneck as needed.

I like the goosenecks on 1 tons b/c when u go through the ditch, creek, slew, over the terrace the trailer can pivot on the ball any which way need be. My semi's have fifth wheels and they do not pivot side to side very well. They are fine front to back but side to side they ain't. :D

I was asking a trailer manufacture about the same thing when I bought my bumper pull trailer.

I plan to buy a new F350 truck and a 5th wheel camper next year and asked how I could use it to pull a goosneck trailer. He said it was just a matter of changing out the tube on the goosneck trailer, and it could fit on the fith wheel receiver.

I have never seen this but that's what he told me.

Wow, sorry for posting and running off but I was called out of town for abit and am just getting home. It looks like i will use my existing rails in my bed and get a goose from the same hitch company that will use those rails.

The biggest difference between a g/n and a 5th wheel is the flexability. 5th wheels just can't twist side to side like a g/n.

Many of the outfitters in Colo. use travel trailers as base camps and most of them covert the 5th wheel trailers to g/n.Z

MillIronQH":1v0ezcwx said:
The biggest difference between a g/n and a 5th wheel is the flexability. 5th wheels just can't twist side to side like a g/n.

I haven't noticed a difference in the flexibility of our trailers side to side motion since converting them to 5th wheel, but our 5th wheels are homemade jobs so maybe that makes a difference.

Latest posts