Field Sprayer as water tank?

Help Support CattleToday:

travlnusa

Reaction score
I have the idea of using an old field sprayer as a nurse tank for water tank in some remote paddocks.

Can one wash one of these out for water use, or once a chemical sprayer always a chemical sprayer?

Thanks

I don't know for 100% sure, but it seems like you can always smell the chemicals no matter how much you try to clean it .For me, I guess I wouldn't use it JMHO .

Larry

I was taught in class, "once a chemical tank, always a chemical tank". That's probably the best rule to follow but I also believe there could be exceptions. If I was going to stray from the rule, I would definitely let it sit in ammonia water overnight at least on three different occassions with thorough washings in between.

After use I really clean my tank. I've used it for firefighting but I can alwasy still smell the chemicals. I would pass on it.

I would not use it for the stock after having any chemical in it. You should get a brand new one instead.

travlnusa":2t0hxhoi said:
I have the idea of using an old field sprayer as a nurse tank for water tank in some remote paddocks.

Can one wash one of these out for water use, or once a chemical sprayer always a chemical sprayer?

Thanks

I don't believe I would. Most plastics tend to be somewhat porous, and I would be concerned about it having absorbed the chemicals previously used.

What I've done in the past is use a number of 55 gallon plastic food grade barrels. After cleaning them thouroughly I put a large opening valve in one hole and set it up in a frame so the valve was down. Filled them through the upper hole and hauled water that way. It gets old real fast, but for a short term emergency it works and it's a lot less money then a couple hundred gallon tank.
The range maggot raisers used to have a portablewater trough that they set up and hooked to a couple hundred gallon tank in the back of a truck. They had a float valve in the trough so that the water stayed the correct depth.

According to the ACS (American Chemical Society) you should never use a chemical container for any other use.
My "real job" is a lab coordinator...we have always been trained, and I train my workers to never take home any empty containers. Unless, you were spraying your fields with a nice round of vitamins or antibiotics, I would skip out on it. You can never get rid of all of the residuals...especially in plastics (that's why you always smell them). IMHO :D

Thanks again for all of your help. One of the many reason I come here is to deliver a reality check to all of my "wonderful" ideas.

Thanks for not letting me kill off my small little herd.

Take care

dun":4b0iyk6t said:
The range maggot raisers used to have a portablewater trough that they set up and hooked to a couple hundred gallon tank in the back of a truck. They had a float valve in the trough so that the water stayed the correct depth.

Did that with a Rubbermaid trough and a 550 gal tank on my truck last summer for one group of cows. Filled the tank every 2nd or 3rd day from the river and left the truck in the field. Went on from July up til October, that got old real fast. Bush hogged that farm today, plenty of grass left but about 2 weeks worth of water. With the price of diesel and everything else I'm not hauling water this year, those cows can be distributed into other groups.

Latest posts