Field Day Opinions needed!

Help Support CattleToday:

branguscowgirl

Reaction score
Ok everyone I need some ideas. I am in charge of putting on the West Coast Brangus Associations Field Day this year. I would like to hear some ideas on speakers, topics, activities, tours and anything else to do, that would be of interest to a group of cattle men and women. Time allotted is 1-2 days.
I have an Embryologist that can speak, but what subject would be most interesting?
Some have voiced an interest in touring a packing plant. Education on various cuts of meat ect.
One cool thing that we have here local is the Sierra Nevada Brewery. They grow their own Hops. The College grazes cattle on their ground. Then the Brewery serves the beef. I think I can fit that one in one night. :D
Please help with your ideas and thoughts. Thank you!

I went to deal and they had a guy talking about grass seeds and brush pesticides he was pretty interesting. there was a vet talking about pulling calves a lot of people were interested in him. I saw a guy do a demonstration on ultra sounds showed the baby in the momma that was my favorite. there were also drug reps there talking about the new vacs.

wacocowboy":2843fqlt said:
I went to deal and they had a guy talking about grass seeds and brush pesticides he was pretty interesting. there was a vet talking about pulling calves a lot of people were interested in him. I saw a guy do a demonstration on ultra sounds showed the baby in the momma that was my favorite. there were also drug reps there talking about the new vacs.
Thank you! All good suggestions!

Do something for the kids. Bounce house etc. Face painting. It gives mom and dad and gramma and grampa a break. If the kids are happy, Momma's happy. If Momma aint happy...............

One of the neatest talks I have heard was from the State Troopers talking about hauling hay and cattle. The troopers shared what they considered a properly secure load of hay etc. They also covered the non requirement for a CDL if the vehicle had farm plates. Also covered who needed DOT numbers.
Each state seems to have different policies so it was nice to hear if from the horses mouth.

backhoeboogie":30omvbnk said:
Do something for the kids. Bounce house etc. Face painting. It gives mom and dad and gramma and grampa a break. If the kids are happy, Momma's happy. If Momma aint happy...............
That would be fun to do! Unfortunately, our Association members are old farts! We don't have any kids. The youngest are teenagers. But they are very active participants in breeding and showing cattle.

Tim/South":3l89898b said:
One of the neatest talks I have hears was from the State Troopers talking about hauling hay and cattle. The troopers shared what they considered a properly secure load of hay etc. They also covered the non requirement for a CDL if the vehicle had farm plates. Also covered who needed DOT numbers.
Each state seems to have different policies so it was nice to hear if from the horses mouth.
Yes, that would be beneficial! Thank you!
Great ideas everyone! Please keep them coming! :D

The DOT cop idea is a good one. A lot of us here don't have a clue we're in violation until it's to late, and the fines are substantial.
You could see about having the brand inspector come out and talk about legal ownership in CA and maybe give some branding tips. A lot of people here in CA are ignorant to legal brands and transportation/change of ownership laws.
You could see about getting someone to speak about nutritional needs throughout the year and make it specific to California(just watch where the money comes from, impartial is better).
Tips for managing your way through a drought may hit home with a few of your guests. :bang:
You could talk about foothill abort management strategies, a big one here in CA that a lot of folks don't think about until it's to late. Anaplasmosis is another one along the same lines.
Since it's brangus, a genetics discussion highlighting the level of heterosis over continental and/or english cattle that ear brings to the table would fit.

cow pollinater":3h5jhttq said:
The DOT cop idea is a good one. A lot of us here don't have a clue we're in violation until it's to late, and the fines are substantial.
You could see about having the brand inspector come out and talk about legal ownership in CA and maybe give some branding tips. A lot of people here in CA are ignorant to legal brands and transportation/change of ownership laws.
You could see about getting someone to speak about nutritional needs throughout the year and make it specific to California(just watch where the money comes from, impartial is better).
Tips for managing your way through a drought may hit home with a few of your guests. :bang:
You could talk about foothill abort management strategies, a big one here in CA that a lot of folks don't think about until it's to late. Anaplasmosis is another one along the same lines.
Since it's brangus, a genetics discussion highlighting the level of heterosis over continental and/or english cattle that ear brings to the table would fit.
Great ideas! Since you are here in Cali, will you be joining us? :D

branguscowgirl":6oj2zgi7 said:
Great ideas! Since you are here in Cali, will you be joining us? :D
Chico might as well be in another state as far as I'm concerned. I can count the number of times I've been out of Tulare County in the last few years on the hand that's missing fingers. :lol: Thank you for the invite though.

Brand inspectors can share a lot of information.
With cattle crossing state lines more and more you could have someone (Brand Inspector or State Vet?) talk about what is necessary to move cattle across state lines (legally :hide: ).

Another topic our Extension office is planning is to educate us (cattle producers) on how to properly respond to discussions about the mis information surrounding the cattle industry. John Q. Public seems to believe U.S. cattle never see a blade of grass, only eat steroids and survive on antibiotics. More and more of the breed and cattle associations are education members on the facts and how to share the truth.

Tim/South":8ayplr6v said:
Brand inspectors can share a lot of information.
With cattle crossing state lines more and more you could have someone (Brand Inspector or State Vet?) talk about what is necessary to move cattle across state lines (legally :hide: ).

Another topic our Extension office is planning is to educate us (cattle producers) on how to properly respond to discussions about the mis information surrounding the cattle industry. John Q. Public seems to believe U.S. cattle never see a blade of grass, only eat steroids and survive on antibiotics. More and more of the breed and cattle associations are education members on the facts and how to share the truth.
Excellent! Thank you!

One of the things I wish that our association would do is to have an order buyer (big time guy who buys thousands of feeder calves each year) come in and explain exactly what he is looking for when buying calves. What he pays a premium for. This will give producers more of an idea on what to shoot for to add more value to their calves. It would need to be a guy who buys in your area.

Another idea is to have a cattle genetics person from the state on hand to discuss trait selection, epd's etc. to help breeders make better decisions on match-ups for their cattle in their environment.

HOSS":2gjo6x33 said:
One of the things I wish that our association would do is to have an order buyer (big time guy who buys thousands of feeder calves each year) come in and explain exactly what he is looking for when buying calves. What he pays a premium for. This will give producers more of an idea on what to shoot for to add more value to their calves. It would need to be a guy who buys in your area.

Another idea is to have a cattle genetics person from the state on hand to discuss trait selection, epd's etc. to help breeders make better decisions on match-ups for their cattle in their environment.
Yes, very good ideas! You guys have been great, I knew that I could count on ya for ideas!
Now I have to get to work finding and scheduling speakers. Keep the ideas coming though please. :D

Latest posts