Fewer Cattle in our county

Help Support CattleToday:

hillrancher

Reaction score
This last week we had 4560 acre of best cattle ranches pull out of production in our county.
Nature Conservancy with the help of wal-mart took control.
Most think it is good, but I have different opinion. It take the land out of tax base and put the burdon on who is left to pay.
This is less than a 1/2 mile up the river from my place this means more canoes and toilet paper and bottles left in the hay fields. Until we all go to bed without enough to eat this is the going thing.

Which county you in hillrancher? Nature Conservancy bought a 1000 acres on the mountian across the creek from me some years back and traded it to the USFS. Of course you could have a National River controled by National Park Service. Bufflao National River has been a real asset to the local folks around here. ;-)

In the last few years we have lost nearly 10,000 acres in our county due to two government programs. Now the land is not supposed to be taxed like other land so others have to make up the difference. Feds are pouring money into these protection programs and landowners seem to be looking at just getting a short term tax break but aren't - in my opinion - considering the consequences to their children or grandchildren.

Hillrancher, do you think the government is intending to buy the land. This happens sometimes here. The conservancy will buy and hold it till the government can get it in its budget or print the money whichever comes first.

Jogeephus":1s97pobe said:
In the last few years we have lost nearly 10,000 acres in our county due to two government programs. Now the land is not supposed to be taxed like other land so others have to make up the difference. Feds are pouring money into these protection programs and landowners seem to be looking at just getting a short term tax break but aren't - in my opinion - considering the consequences to their children or grandchildren.

Hillrancher, do you think the government is intending to buy the land. This happens sometimes here. The conservancy will buy and hold it till the government can get it in its budget or print the money whichever comes first.
Joge, I think they will hold until the state can purchase because there is game and fish just to the south over the county line.
Red Bull, in Carroll County I live in the north central part of the county. The land that was purchased was on KIngs River. The river is already classed as extraordinary resource waterbody.

I keep waiting for the IRS to take those S O B s down, but it never happens.
I better not get started on TNC. If this is y'alls first experience with them I wish you luck. They will never leave, eventually they may figure out the locals were right, but by that time a lot of damage will have been done to the land and the community.

Careful with the tax-base argument, especially if your area gives favorable ag-tax benefits. Fight them on the real science. It is hard because they have a lot of money and can hire the very best of every field - lawyers, managers, scientists, - if you are careful you can actually get them to work for you but always get things in writing and make sure the rules are clear.

I live in western Searcy County on Richland Creek, it is a wild and senic waterway. Friend of mine bought a tract of timber up the creek from me, and i built the logging roads for him. A big wheel in the Ozark Society has a cabin on the ajoining property. Made things interesting.Nature Conservancy lost a bunch of there donors around here when they traded the 1000 acres for 40 acres in Montana.

Which is worse going into Conservation or like in our County where the land is divided into 1 to 10 acre tracks then they put a mobile home on it that should have been condemed, then they see how many junk cars and trash they can put on it, or they put so many horses and cattle on it their is not a sprig of grass left and all the top soil washes down the creeks, at least when in conservation the land goes back to nature and is protected and it is still pretty to look at not an eyesore.

cowboy43":32rrax9n said:
Which is worse going into Conservation or like in our County where the land is divided into 1 to 10 acre tracks then they put a mobile home on it that should have been condemed, then they see how many junk cars and trash they can put on it, or they put so many horses and cattle on it their is not a sprig of grass left and all the top soil washes down the creeks, at least when in conservation the land goes back to nature and is protected and it is still pretty to look at not an eyesore.

I agree - "preserved" is better than trashed by overdevelopment or sorry development, but I disagree that those have to be the only two choices. A working landscape is the best option in my opinion. That is conservation to me. Preservation is locking it up where only the rich can go play. "Going back to nature" is a false premise - it reinforces the BS idea that humans are not a part of nature. This continent has been managed and manipulated by humans for well over 13,000 years.

The TNC has bought a lot of land here also. Selling most of it to the state while the state is laying off people.
Giving as much as $5,000 per acre for land that was worth a lot less. Sure made the last apprasial of our property get high.
Here there is no enjoying it either as it is posted and no trespassing at all.

Latest posts