Fescue Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

nap":yp9cyh6k said:
Red Bull Breeder":yp9cyh6k said:
I never have any problems with freeze or frost killed fescue most problems i have is with mature fescue in late spring into summer.

Thanks for the info. I don't anticipate a problem with seed heads since I will pull the cattle off of the fescue as soon as the clover takes over in the spring.

The object is to dilute the fescue not feed strictly clover. With good rotational grazing you can keep the fescue vegetive insterad of reproductive a lot longer then you think. But when it bolts it will do it fast! If the seed heads are that big of a concern just clip the pasture at the height of the top of the blades before you turn the cows in.

The object is to dilute the fescue not feed strictly clover. With good rotational grazing you can keep the fescue vegetive insterad of reproductive a lot longer then you think. But when it bolts it will do it fast! If the seed heads are that big of a concern just clip the pasture at the height of the top of the blades before you turn the cows in.

I didn't mean to imply that I would put the cattle on strictly clover in the spring. Actually I'm working on improving my clover but there is still plenty of fescue mixed in. As far as the seed heads go I intentionally let it become reproductive last spring and early summer in hope that it would reseed itself. During this period I kept the cattle off.

Latest posts