Fescue frustration

Help Support CattleToday:

MarkM

Reaction score
As the summer wore on it became obvious which of my animals were tolerant of my endophyte fescue and which ones were not. These animals are rotated daily and have easy access to piped in water in a trough.

I would have the same animals panting and drooling, heads hanging down and looking like they were going to die. It would not have surprised me to find one dead. Some animals appeared completely normal.

Finally, the weather broke. Cooler temps and rain. The dormant fescue took off. The animals appeared happy. For the past ten days they have been on paddocks that were probably 50% fescue, 30% bermuda and 20% "other" with little to no clover.

Last Thursday I went to move the animals (an unusual afternoon move). Temperature 74, humidity 60%. The entire herd was heat stressed. I had animals drooling that had done well all summer. Even many of the calves were struggling. I put off the move (about ½ mile) until the next morning. The animals had been showing some increasing signs of heat stress for the past few days even though the temps were moderate. I was SHOCKED at the condition of the animals this day. By later in the evening, everyone seemed normal again.

My biggest concern is what this portends for next summer. I had already decided that I would give everyone a second summer to see how they did before I culled. I had made a list of the poorest throughout the summer. If next summer looks like last Thursday, I would have to think of culling everyone.

Why the big decline so late in the season? I thought the endophyte was concentrated in the seeds and stems. The deterioration seemed to coincide with the latest growth spurt of the fescue.

Is there any chance that some of the poor ones will do better next year?

I will be frost seeding clover this winter in front of the herd, but I can't imagine it making that much of a difference.

The clover will decrease the effects that the endophyte infected fescue has on the cattle, so that will help next year. Are you having dramatic fluctuation between your low and high temps? What breed of cattle do you run?

SSG,
There had been a pretty big drop from 10 days before, but not a big swing back up. It was particularly humid that day and the paddock they were in had no shade. However, it was overcast and only 74 degrees. Hereford.

RBB,
I am using a cafeteria style free choice mineral, is it the CTC that makes the difference?

It seems to help. vita ferm fescue buster with ctc is what i use. Seems to have helped alot. But most of my cows have been on fescue for years.

MarkM":3u3wvy6p said:
SSG,
There had been a pretty big drop from 10 days before, but not a big swing back up. It was particularly humid that day and the paddock they were in had no shade. However, it was overcast and only 74 degrees. Hereford.

RBB,
I am using a cafeteria style free choice mineral, is it the CTC that makes the difference?
All of my paddocks come off of a central lane where they can go to water and shade. If they had no shade that day....that may be part of the problem, the fescue makes them hotter.

I would say the minerals will help.. along with shade.. but at 74 degrees, and 60% humidity.. that shouldnt a problem to those animals. Although.. I have a few hereford leftover momma cows, and they are the first ones to have their tongues hangin out in warmer weather, but that is usually when it gets upwards into the 90's..

The first thing I would do is to pull a number of samples of grass from different areas and have it tested for endphyte.

Herefords do not do well here- but the mountain guys LOVE them. Both are on fescue pastures.
You just might need a different cow.
You have fescue and its silly to fight with it-- find something (local)that has already adapted to fescue AND your other conditions.Then manage the fescue, interseed, clip or rotate, and make sure you take advantage of stockpiling.

You gotta remember cattle run at allot higher temperature than people so if it is 74 degrees with humidity and no shade you are bumping up against the 80 degrees mark which is the feels like temperature that is combining temp and humidity. Quoting this from Iowa State web site:

At temperatures above 80 degrees Fahrenheit cattle endure physiologic stress trying to deal with their heat load. Although cattle at this temperature are not at risk of dying they will have an increased maintenance requirement to cope with the heat.

http://vetmed.iastate.edu/vdpam/extensi ... eef-cattle

Mark,
The clover will help dilute out some of the effects from the fescue endophyte.
You might also consider frost-seeding some annual lespedeza, as well - it'll provide diluting forage during the hottest part of the summer, when the clover will have pretty well shut down.

Thanks for the responses.

I will be testing the grass to get an idea of the endophyte load. Hopefully, diluting the fescue with other forages will help. I frost seeded some clover last winter, but not much germinated. I will do the same this winter. However, I will do so in front of the herd as they move through the paddocks and hope to have a better stand for next year.

I would bet that I wind up culling the ones that were the worst all summer. We'll see what next summer brings. The cattle are looking really good the past week. Gaining weight back and looking happy after a long, hot summer.

Latest posts