FERTILIZING PASTURE

Help Support CattleToday:

HomePlaceAngus

Reaction score
I am considering putting about 150 lbs per acre of fertiziler on my fiscue pasture in February. Even though the cattle are getting free choice hay, they are still grazing. Do any of you think I will have a problem with the cattle and fertlizer? You comments will be appreciated. Thanks :tiphat:

dun":1lp7xpyo said:
Is that the amount that your soil test calls for?
few can afford to fertilize in those amounts.

150lbs of fertilizer doesn't tell us much. Is that 150lbs of ammonium nitrate or 150lbs of trip17??

HomePlaceAngus":1j8upflz said:
Sorry, 150 lbs. of 17-17-17 per acre.
I
ll go back to the origianl question. Is that what the soil test shows you need?

Haven't got the results back yet dun. It will be around that much and I just wanted to know about the cows. Thanks

the q is how much does 17-17-17 cost a ton now.an will you get a return on your money spent.

bigbull338":2ypxoyhg said:
the q is how much does 17-17-17 cost a ton now.an will you get a return on your money spent.
Triple anything is more of a lawn and garden fertilizer. Guess it would work on pasture grass tho.

Are you aware of nitrate poisoning and magnesium deficiency caused by potassium? Chances are you won't have a problem at the levels you're putting on but it is worth getting an understanding.

TexasBred":1hw3eztj said:
bigbull338":1hw3eztj said:
Triple anything is more of a lawn and garden fertilizer. Guess it would work on pasture grass tho.
that was all we would use on our meadows before fert got to high to buy.an we used 18-46-0 on the wheat land.

bigbull338":2f2zdgb1 said:
TexasBred":2f2zdgb1 said:
bigbull338":2f2zdgb1 said:
that was all we would use on our meadows before fert got to high to buy.an we used 18-46-0 on the wheat land.
Everybody around here seems to use 21-8-17 for hay meadows. Anhydrous for wheat.

I use 21-9-19 thats about what it calls for when I do soil samples. I just put out what I can afford every year. I like to keep my lime up past 6, seems like the higher the soil PH the less weed trouble I have.

HomePlaceAngus":17s5c3h3 said:
I am considering putting about 150 lbs per acre of fertiziler on my fiscue pasture in February. Even though the cattle are getting free choice hay, they are still grazing. Do any of you think I will have a problem with the cattle and fertlizer? You comments will be appreciated. Thanks :tiphat:
Do you have experience with grass tetany? It can be cause by high levels of N and K in the diet. As I said earlier, I don't think you will have problems with the low amount you are using, but it is worth looking at.

This article will be helpful.
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets ... cattle.pdf

Latest posts