Fertilizer Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Remember, when you cut and bale hay you are removing nutrients from the field. You need to replace what you take out. It is like writing checks on an account and never making a deposit. What can you do? 1) extend your grazing season by stockpiling for late fall, 2) incorporate legumes for early spring grazing; 3) adjust your calving season to where you are trying to get cows rebred during the spring flush of grass; 4) soil test your hay meadows, get your pH right so that what fertilizer you do apply is most available to the plant. 1 & 2 will reduce your need for high priced hay.

While the cost of fertilizer is dropping, it is still outrageously high. At these prices, it just does not pencil out for hay. Does anyone have a solution?
Depends on your skills and your profit goal:

1) If you are a high overhead DYI operation - - you need enough forage to cover your direct and OH costs. For me this was 3.1 tons/acre/year. You cannot afford to get cheap and harvest part of a crop. Question is how profitable is your high OH operation?
2) If you are a good cattle marketer - - you sell the haying equipment to buy some seasonal cattle, and then let them harvest the forage.
3) If you enjoy feeding - - you buy in hay and then unroll or bale feed it on the field to import fertility.
4) If you have a green thumb - - you can try to inter seed legumes or plant corn. Corn, beans, and Cancun boys have been doing well.
5) If you are a good networker and a good mechanic - - there is free stumpage in some areas.

Combination of the above...

I have checked twice and still waiting for a price. It is either use it or cut back on number of head. With diesel prices, fertilizer, machinery, repairs, parts and all the other input costs I have never seen anything much more unfair when you see the retail price of what you are producing. Everybody along the process is getting good profits, but the people that do 90% of the work and takes the most chances. I don't see it getting any better. Farming is a hobby and a challenge to break even. People thinks farmers are rich.

You need more cows. Let the neighbor winter feed his cows on your land, if he doesn't have enough ask a few more neighbors. 300 cows fed for a winter on 40 acres will do wonders.
I think that works great up there but here we don't get the snow and hard freeze to protect the ground. Put 300 on 40 acres and you get 40 acres 1' deep in mud at the end. It pugs the ground up so bad it takes 2 years for the vegetation to recover. You get to add a layer of organics above protected ground then the snow melt carries it to the soil. I wish it were that easy here, not that you don't have your own challenges!

Latest posts