Fertilizer prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":1z5hojpf said:
I get N in the compound Urea. It is tricky! We had a UK agronomist present at one of our Extension events. It left me with the impression that in a no-till application unless you are lucky or have a wizard cast a spell controlling the conditions after you apply, that you are wasting your money. If it gets wet by dew, ground is wet, or get less than a quarter inch of rain, the Urea goes into the gaseous phase and is not tied up in the soil.

There are inhibitors but they only extent the time frame for proper conditions to occur. The losses are significant, up to 60 percent.

https://youtu.be/OdHCeZvkgY8

That's exactly my concern with it.

On coated or not, the product that comes from Louisiana, green and red writing on the white bag, has a mix of U and AS to get the N, plus if you buy the mix with P and K you can see the the different colors. Only see 3 and one is greyish, the second redish, and the third white. If coated, doesn't feel like it.

I get sulfur coated urea by the ton. I have 10 tons in the barn right now.

My father worked at a fertilizer plant all his life and I get it for 100.00 / ton for the top of the line stuff. I can get cleanout for 50.00/ton and dust for free.

ddd75":214tpgmf said:

My father worked at a fertilizer plant all his life and I get it for 100.00 / ton for the top of the line stuff. I can get cleanout for 50.00/ton and dust for free.

Sweet deal there! What's the deal with the dust? Still have value?

ClinchValley":1r8o5jix said:
ddd75":1r8o5jix said:

Sweet deal there! What's the deal with the dust? Still have value?

oh yea, its all good stuff.. with the dust you might get some big chunks and its hard to spread it even... if you get the chunks stopping the spreader. I used to take the cleanout but it had some chunks in it as well.. not much, but it sucks to stop and clean the spreader out every 30 minutes. For the price and how well it spreads, I buy the good stuff.

they really want to get rid of the dust though.. they take it to the landfill if they start getting too much and no one takes it.

Texasmark":2g5q0zgo said:
Bright Raven":2g5q0zgo said:
I get N in the compound Urea. It is tricky! We had a UK agronomist present at one of our Extension events. It left me with the impression that in a no-till application unless you are lucky or have a wizard cast a spell controlling the conditions after you apply, that you are wasting your money. If it gets wet by dew, ground is wet, or get less than a quarter inch of rain, the Urea goes into the gaseous phase and is not tied up in the soil.

There are inhibitors but they only extent the time frame for proper conditions to occur. The losses are significant, up to 60 percent.

On coated or not, the product that comes from Louisiana, green and red writing on the white bag, has a mix of U and AS to get the N, plus if you buy the mix with P and K you can see the the different colors. Only see 3 and one is greyish, the second redish, and the third white. If coated, doesn't feel like it.

Urea n loss is very slight in cool weather. Discing it in ,getting rain or using a product like agrotain also eliminates losses. We are fortunate to have a mixing facility a few miles away so getting it mixed with agrotain is not a problem.( Very cheap insurance) I stand there and watch them mix it.

You sling it out in 90 degree weather on a humid windy day. You might as well through cash out on the ground.

Stocker Steve":3i4rdi9x said:
Bright Raven":3i4rdi9x said:
If it is available. Most everything here is urea.

We have both. The University of MN and the agronomy salesmen both push sulfur. Problem is a 6" soil test does not tell you much about leachable elements... So I have been moving more to tissue testing.

I have focused on working with nature and cut way back on chemical fertilizer. I still put about 25 to 30# actual on a few paddocks that have not been bale grazed recently and/or are being used for turn out. Otherwise I delegate to legumes.

Hard to get chemical N to pencil compared to legumes, and legumes have the added benefit of increasing pasture quality as well :nod:

1wlimo":3afhsrgj said:
Hard to get chemical N to pencil compared to legumes, and legumes have the added benefit of increasing pasture quality as well :nod:

We have gone to a lot of red clover in the legume mix. It reseeds itself really well if you let it mature before you graze it.

N penciled when calves were $2.50/lb :nod: How soon will that happen again?

I'm a big believer in legumes but the fields I'm reclaiming have been neglected for years and the idiot seeded serecia into them for hay. Come spring they will need serious spraying to try to knock it back. Then the clover will be drilled in.

callmefence":1uk97zj2 said:
Texasmark":1uk97zj2 said:
Bright Raven":1uk97zj2 said:

Urea n loss is very slight in cool weather. Discing it in ,getting rain or using a product like agrotain also eliminates losses. We are fortunate to have a mixing facility a few miles away so getting it mixed with agrotain is not a problem.( Very cheap insurance) I stand there and watch them mix it.

You sling it out in 90 degree weather on a humid windy day. You might as well through cash out on the ground.

That's how I understand it.

"Only see 3 and one is greyish, the second redish, and the third white."

I was getting some blended fertilizer one day and white, gray, and red was how the work order was wrote up. They had to keep it simple for the help.

Latest posts