Fertilizer prices

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Going today to check on getting fertilize ordered for the spring. Mixed to my soil test results. Anyone ordered yet? How are the prices? I only use a few ton but still shop around.

kenny thomas":39f0nlpq said:
Going today to check on getting fertilize ordered for the spring. Mixed to my soil test results. Anyone ordered yet? How are the prices? I only use a few ton but still shop around.
Got them ordered, didn;t seem too nuts to me. Lime was cheaper then I expected.

I get my fertilizer at Mayslick Mill. They store it bulk in bins. Load it with a skid steer into a blender. It is available all year.

Glad that fertilizer and irrigation pumps are two costs we don't have. The wolves and grizzlies are cost enough.

gcreekrch":3i3silaq said:
Glad that fertilizer and irrigation pumps are two costs we don't have. The wolves and grizzlies are cost enough.

Same here gcreek, although I did put a few tons of nitrogen on an older stand a couple of years ago to delay the cost of rejuvenating for a little while.

I pay about $15 per bale for the slow release organic fertilizer. Price has been trending down like most ag commodities.

Its a good time to buy some lime and potash if you are in a legume hurry. Chemical fertilizer prices are starting to trend up.

zirlottkim":26stcmue said:
I spread Urea on ryegrass today. $375 ton.
Would you share with us your Urea practices? If I go to the bulk dist, I get straight AN for Nit. If I buy it by the bag I may get AS or AS and Urea for the N. Since I can't always time the application, or incorporate it into the soil, I shy away from it....but had rather not if practical.

Texasmark":z6jyizlb said:
zirlottkim":z6jyizlb said:
I spread Urea on ryegrass today. $375 ton.
Would you share with us your Urea practices? If I go to the bulk dist, I get straight AN for Nit. If I buy it by the bag I may get AS or AS and Urea for the N. Since I can't always time the application, or incorporate it into the soil, I shy away from it....but had rather not if practical.
Urea is the nitrogen AGRI-AFC offers. They rent the spreaders too. I plant rye grass in the fall and apply 13-13-13 when planting. Then come back later and apply anywhere from 150 lb to 300 lb per acre of urea according to how much rye grass I have planted. Usually 40 to 70 acres. I always get a full spreader (3 1/2 ton) because it's an hour drive one way. I'm no expert and still learning.

In my area we have no option but Urea but I do get it with Agrotain stabilizer coating. That helps to stabilize it so its not so volatile.

I get N in the compound Urea. It is tricky! We had a UK agronomist present at one of our Extension events. It left me with the impression that in a no-till application unless you are lucky or have a wizard cast a spell controlling the conditions after you apply, that you are wasting your money. If it gets wet by dew, ground is wet, or get less than a quarter inch of rain, the Urea goes into the gaseous phase and is not tied up in the soil.

There are inhibitors but they only extent the time frame for proper conditions to occur. The losses are significant, up to 60 percent.

https://youtu.be/OdHCeZvkgY8

Bright Raven":30flkmcl said:
I get N in the compound Urea. It is tricky! We had a UK agronomist present at one of our Extension events. It left me with the impression that in a no-till application unless you are lucky or have a wizard cast a spell controlling the conditions after you apply, that you are wasting your money. If it gets wet by dew, ground is wet, or get less than a quarter inch of rain, the Urea goes into the gaseous phase and is not tied up in the soil.

There are inhibitors but they only extent the time frame for proper conditions to occur. The losses are significant, up to 60 percent.https://youtu.be/OdHCeZvkgY8

Interesting. I had assumed if you got a little moisture and the pellets melted - - then you were good. :?
So bottom line is avoid urea surface application and go with a lower total applied cost for AMS?

Stocker Steve":20oymnpx said:
Bright Raven":20oymnpx said:

There are inhibitors but they only extent the time frame for proper conditions to occur. The losses are significant, up to 60 percent.https://youtu.be/OdHCeZvkgY8

Interesting. I had assumed if you got a little moisture and the pellets melted - - then you were good. :?
So bottom line is avoid urea surface application and go with a lower total applied cost for AMS?

If it is available. Most everything here is urea.

Bright Raven":3vt706yy said:

We have both. The University of MN and the agronomy salesmen both push sulfur. Problem is a 6" soil test does not tell you much about leachable elements... So I have been moving more to tissue testing.

I have focused on working with nature and cut way back on chemical fertilizer. I still put about 25 to 30# actual on a few paddocks that have not been bale grazed recently and/or are being used for turn out. Otherwise I delegate to legumes.

Stocker Steve":q3bvf16j said:
Bright Raven":q3bvf16j said:

We have both. The University of MN and the agronomy salesmen both push sulfur. Problem is a 6" soil test does not tell you much about leachable elements... So I have been moving more to tissue testing.

I have focused on working with nature and cut way back on chemical fertilizer. I still put about 25 to 30# actual on a few paddocks that have not been bale grazed recently and/or are being used for turn out. Otherwise I delegate to legumes.

Steve, I just called Southern States, we do have ammonium sulfate or sulfate of ammonia ((NH4)2SO4) available here.

Latest posts