Fertilizer - how long lasts

Help Support CattleToday:

Pointer1160

Reaction score
In Arkansas- fertilized my pasture middle of April. Early spring here and the grass is high and thick and needing cut. My question is how log will the effects of the fertilizer continue with the new grass that will come on after the cutting? With prices like they are would like to conserve as much as possible. Have some heifers grazing on it .

For N, I always figure one day per pound of N. The P and K are more dependent on what is removed from the site via haying.

An uneducated answer , is the grass takes up a lot of the nutrients as it grows and will be removed when the grass is baled, under ideal conditions Bermuda to produce high protein hay , should be baled every 28 days and re fertilized with the nutrients that was removed.
The trouble is a lot of places do not get the proper rainfall to make this schedule work, under irrigation it would work good.

Pointer1160":1ef7ll7z said:
So what would be your best guess. Bt hanks

Too many variables you don't mention to say. Like what kind of grass, what did you fertilize with, was it grazed or is it only being used for hay. For grazing the day per pound of N works good but for hay I'd be looking at another application of N about a week or two after you bale it.

Early spring grass plus rye. It is being grazed but not heavy. Fertilized four weeks ago. Lot more growth than last year. So thick in places that it will have to be cut for summer grass to do any good.

I'm thinking I wont bush hog this year after fertilizing 17 -17 17 at 300lbs per acre on fescue in SC . Usually bush hog late summer to somewhat scatter seedhead and possibly reseed before fall growth ( not sure that works but been doing it for years ) All my pasture is for grazing so I dont fertilize every year like some making hay

BobbyLummus1":3gg2may2 said:
I'm thinking I wont bush hog this year after fertilizing 17 -17 17 at 300lbs per acre on fescue in SC . Usually bush hog late summer to somewhat scatter seedhead and possibly reseed before fall growth ( not sure that works but been doing it for years ) All my pasture is for grazing so I dont fertilize every year like some making hay
Do you fertilize in the fall or in the spring?

Pointer1160":1nix5ivc said:
Early spring grass plus rye. It is being grazed but not heavy. Fertilized four weeks ago. Lot more growth than last year. So thick in places that it will have to be cut for summer grass to do any good.

Here, if you have your pH right and your P & K are right the only thing you might need for optimal growth is some N. When applying N I'll figure 1 lb of N for each day of grazing and prefer split the applications using about 45 lbs of N at each application.

I have some pastures that are used for grazing and I rarely apply anything since I don't take anything from them. I soil test these fields every few years just to check the pH and the basics but for the most part I do nothing to them because they produce plenty of grass with the N from the rainfall and clover and pushing them by adding N will only result in rank grass and the need for mowing. I prefer to let the cattle do the mowing.

Latest posts