Fertilizer buggy issue/farm store responsibility?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
When I put fertilizer on my pasture I thought the spread pattern looked different. When I went back for the second load I had to wait for them to get another guy's load out of the blender while they fixed the buggy he had. I asked what was wrong and said they had figured out the fans on the one he had were on wrong from their winter maintenance, well mine were also.

So my issue is I got strips fertilized really well and some with none on about 30 acres. I thought about going over it again with something to even out the grass production. Should the dealer bear any responsibility? Their equipment and their people put the buggy back together wrong.

sstterry said:
They should be responsible. I would talk to the manager and see if you can work it out. You could sue, but all you can get is the amount of fertilizer it will take to cover the 30 acres.
Lawsuit would not be worth the cost and I really would not want to hurt my relationship with them. I wondered if their insurance would cover it?

I'd surely object. Over the years, I found the supplied spreaders were usually in a poor state of maintenance......considering the corrosive effects of the products, no wonder the dilemma and most every one I used was lacking proper greasing (zerks dry), chains rusted, engagement levers that were so sloppy you wondered not if, but when they would jump the gear teeth and break or fall off. Some I serviced at my farm before using because I didn't want a failure and did what I could. I never saw a sign posted disavowing any customer loss as a result of spreader failure.

Texasmark said:
I'd surely object. Over the years, I found the supplied spreaders were usually in a poor state of maintenance......considering the corrosive effects of the products, no wonder the dilemma and most every one I used was lacking proper greasing (zerks dry), chains rusted, engagement levers that were so sloppy you wondered not if, but when they would jump the gear teeth and break or fall off. Some I serviced at my farm before using because I didn't want a failure and did what I could. I never saw a sign posted disavowing any customer loss as a result of spreader failure.
We have 2 local places and this one usually has the best equipment, other one buys this one's old ones. I have only had problems twice over the years. Other time was pretty minor issue. This time I just could not tell how far it was spreading.

tom4018 said:
sstterry said:
They should be responsible. I would talk to the manager and see if you can work it out. You could sue, but all you can get is the amount of fertilizer it will take to cover the 30 acres.
Lawsuit would not be worth the cost and I really would not want to hurt my relationship with them. I wondered if their insurance would cover it?

Their deductible is most likely higher than the cost of the fertilize. Just talk to them and see what they say, they know they have a problem. They should be willing to work with you.

I would ask them to absorb the buggy rent and heavily discount the fertilize for that load. Any decent outfit would do that to keep a good name.

We've had similar issue. We've learned to catch it right away before the whole load gets spread. If there not the only dealer around maybe push the issue a little if there the only one around I'd just bite my tongue and let it go

I would ask for enough fertilizer to fill in what was missed.
Once I had a spinner wheel break off and had about 500 pounds dumped out in a row. We actually scooped it up best we could with a skidsteer and put it back in. Called the supplier and he came out me him and my welder we did a field repair and he knocked 100.00 off the bill
I was satisfied.

I had the handle you lock in the tire drive break and the drive wheel dropped while in transport.
I fertilized about a mile and a half of state highway 138; before I realized. As usual I had a welder on my truck, I repaired it and went and spread it. What I came up short they replaced.
They don't charge rent on fertilizer buggy's and due to the fertilizer and customer abuse they deserve a little slack. But they should seek some middle ground to make it right, so should you.

I spoke with them. Going to knock off buggy rent ans discount some fertilizer. Kinda of wanted other opinions and I want to continue to do business with them.

callmefence said:
Once I had a spinner wheel break off and had about 500 pounds dumped out in a row. We actually scooped it up best we could with a skidsteer and put it back in. Called the supplier and he came out me him and my welder we did a field repair and he knocked 100.00 off the bill
I was satisfied.

I had the handle you lock in the tire drive break and the drive wheel dropped while in transport.
I fertilized about a mile and a half of state highway 138; before I realized. As usual I had a welder on my truck, I repaired it and went and spread it. What I came up short they replaced.
They don't charge rent on fertilizer buggy's and due to the fertilizer and customer abuse they deserve a little slack. But they should seek some middle ground to make it right, so should you.

I don't give them any slack. The guy before you will drive the cart back to depot with his 1 ton at 50 mph, have everything engaged and trash the whole drive mechanism. True story. That guy doesn't pay for any of the damages he caused, but you can be assured that everyone else will through fertilizer prices.

Tom should get free cart rental at the very least. Should get discount on fertilizer for that load as well, but wouldn't hold my breath.

Aaron said:
callmefence said:
I was satisfied.

I don't give them any slack. The guy before you will drive the cart back to depot with his 1 ton at 50 mph, have everything engaged and trash the whole drive mechanism. True story. That guy doesn't pay for any of the damages he caused, but you can be assured that everyone else will through fertilizer prices.

Tom should get free cart rental at the very least. Should get discount on fertilizer for that load as well, but wouldn't hold my breath.

I pretty much agree Arron. But where does everyone keep coming up with cart rental.
I've never seen a fertilizer dealer charge cart rental unless you want to use to spread seed.

Had the same thing happen to me on a buggy a couple years ago. The new fins had been put on backwards as I caught it the first round. They had wear as it had been used that way.

callmefence said:
Aaron said:
callmefence said:
I was satisfied.

I pretty much agree Arron. But where does everyone keep coming up with cart rental.
I've never seen a fertilizer dealer charge cart rental unless you want to use to spread seed.

I don't know how a dealer couldn't charge cart rental. Dealer here has eight 6 to 8 Ton carts here worth a good 20k a piece. Plus 2 hopper loader trucks to transfer in field. Tires alone are about $500 US a piece. Lots of guys put deer antlers through them in spring. I know dealer keeps 4 to 5 on rims ready to go.

No rental charge here either. Maybe they make it up in the cost of the product. I know one thing, Urea has gone from $350/ton last November to $446 last week. Meanwhile calf prices have gone about the same percentage in the other direction.

bird dog said:
No rental charge here either. Maybe they make it up in the cost of the product. I know one thing, Urea has gone from $350/ton last November to $446 last week. Meanwhile calf prices have gone about the same percentage in the other direction.
Aaron said:
callmefence said:
Aaron said:

I don't know how a dealer couldn't charge cart rental. Dealer here has eight 6 to 8 Ton carts here worth a good 20k a piece. Plus 2 hopper loader trucks to transfer in field. Tires alone are about $500 US a piece. Lots of guys put deer antlers through them in spring. I know dealer keeps 4 to 5 on rims ready to go.

I think they make it up on people who put out fertilizer when they probably wouldn't without a cart

callmefence said:
You know what.....I bet that's how Canada is paying for that free health care. Their hooking folks in the fertilizer buggy's

More than likely you guys are paying for the cart within the fertilizer price. Nothing is free in this world. :cowboy:

Aaron said:
callmefence said:
You know what.....I bet that's how Canada is paying for that free health care. Their hooking folks in the fertilizer buggy's

More than likely you guys are paying for the cart within the fertilizer price. Nothing is free in this world. :cowboy:

Maybe I think we're about 430.00 a ton on urea right now. Sure seems expensive enough.

Latest posts