Fertilizer analysis?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Curious about something if someone could enlighten me. My uncle always said putting 300 lbs. of 10-10-10 to the acre was better than what dealers push on you. For example they a analysis of 30-30-30 to the acre I end up actually omly putting 155 lbs. to the acre. Will you get the same results?

tom4018":1j4urxvm said:
Curious about something if someone could enlighten me. My uncle always said putting 300 lbs. of 10-10-10 to the acre was better than what dealers push on you. For example they a analysis of 30-30-30 to the acre I end up actually omly putting 155 lbs. to the acre. Will you get the same results?

Fertilizer "numbers" (XX-XX-XX) relate to Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassium. The numbers indicate the number of pounds of the active ingredient (N-P-K) per 100# of total material. I.e., 10-10-10 relates to 10# each of N-P-K in a 100# bag.

A 20-20-20 analysis applied would create 2X the N-P-K ingredients that a 10-10-10 material would--assuming the fertilizer was spread at the same rate (# of pounds total material) per acre.

If you haven't already done so, do a soil test. Then, based on test results have the supplier mix the exact ratio you need for N-P-K. If you pH level of the soil is very far from the 6.5 - 7.5 mid-range of the scale (0-14), then the "available" N-P-K to the plants may be compromized.

Maybe you should try to find you some 1-1-1...that way you wuold get even better coverage and only 97 pounds of FILLER in a hundred pounds.LOL Only 1940 pounds of filler per ton just so you could get better coverage.Doesnt that sound better???LOL

Blends like 10-10-10 have a lot of filler in them. Besides do you need the phosphorus? Most grass uses nutrients in a 3-1-2 ratio. Get a soil test and put out fertilizer based on what is called for.

Good question Tom, I don't know the answer. It is much cheaper for us to go with one ton of triple 19 as opposed to two tons of triple 10. We can tell when we slack on any of the nutrients here with our soil. But we can also tell when we don't get the coverage and miss a little. I guess its a catch 22 here.

Poorboy

Most of the time higher blends will be cheaper to spread. You pay for the filler also. Cheapest way is to get a soil sample and only put on what is called for.

Latest posts