Put plastic in trailer before fertilizer?

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I have 6 tons of bulk fertilizer being delivered tomorrow morning. I was going to have them auger it into my steel dump trailer and I'll deal with it from there. I was wondering if I should line the trailer with plastic before I put the fertilizer in it? Just trying to protect the steel on the trailer. I only plan to keep it in there a few days.

Thanks-

I wouldn;t bother, but I would sure wash the snot out of it when the fertilizer is out.

Use to know a man did all his own fertilization. He always sprayed his down with diesel and also washed everything afterward.

TexasBred":17ulga2l said:
Use to know a man did all his own fertilization. He always sprayed his down with diesel and also washed everything afterward.

X2. Anything that fertilizer touches I pressure wash and then spray diesel with just a little used motor oil in it. I have gotten 5 years or better out of a cheap cone spreader by doing this.

Plastic would be cheap insurance. Who knows, something may hinder you and it might wind up sitting on the trailer for a month.

On the cone spreader, after I wash mine good, I close the gates and pour about half a quart of motor oil in it and on the turntable.

The 6 ton was delivered at 7pm Friday night. I put it in the dump trailer without any plastic. The fertilizer was spread, trailer washed and sprayed with diesel by 11 am Sunday. Other than my shoulders being stiff, it all went well. Sure easier to shovel out of a trailer than out of those bulk bags I usually use.

JMJ Farms":sfzvvic8 said:
On the cone spreader, after I wash mine good, I close the gates and pour about half a quart of motor oil in it and on the turntable.

Yup. Good idea. My cone spreader is 11 years old, I spread between 4-6 ton a year. I always wash it after each use and dump used oil on it. It's starting to rust some, but is still very usable.