Fertilize Pasture???

Help Support CattleToday:

tpm

Reaction score
Considering current fertilizer costs AND if you are not cutting hay--does it pay to fertilize a pasture strictly used for grazing?

I can stock my pasture at the recommended rate of 3 acres per cow. I plan on a rotational grazing system for a commerical cow-calf operation. I have a lot of broomsage and weeds. I do plan to lime the pasture and my phosphate is low. It seems to be more economical to buy my hay but I do want to stockpile fescue for winter grazing (I know that doing this requires nitrogen in the fall).

Assuming soil fertility is where it should be to begin with, grazing removes very little phosphorus or potash from the soil. I generally only add those every 3 years or so. I did that last year. I have also read that cool season grasses respond with a steep growth curve to the first 50 pounds of nitrogen. Growth still increases with more nitrogen, but the curve is much less steep. I plan to apply 50-75 lbs. nitrogen where I don't have sufficient clover in the stand. Other than that, no fertilizer this year on the pastures.

Sedge and weeds wont do much for cattle. If its a rainy year and you have a lot of volunteer summer grasses, you might come out. You will need to change to 5 acres to the cow so they wont be forced to eat the toxic summer plants. You will lose most of the fecue so dont worry about stockpiling.
A lot of folk are doing the same thing. I have seen rainy years where poor grass and sappling have made some decent calves. Im buying fertilizer, spreading ash and sludge.
It all depends on your position and can you afford to lose money or make very little.
Until we undo NAFTA CAFTA and some other agreements were just in a hole. Thats the next election cycle its not on the menu with this election.
Jus my 2 cents

tpm":3quty7xv said:
Considering current fertilizer costs AND if you are not cutting hay--does it pay to fertilize a pasture strictly used for grazing?

I always have you can't just take and take and not put back.
Your a grass farmer first take care of the grass and it will take care of you.
I am scratching for cheaper alternatives, replanting clover in the fall, urea, but most important lime as if your ph is not right you are wasting fertilize.

Caustic Burno":1phq73bi said:
tpm":1phq73bi said:

I always have you can't just take and take and not put back.
Your a grass farmer first take care of the grass and it will take care of you.
I am scratching for cheaper alternatives, replanting clover in the fall, urea, but most important lime as if your ph is not right you are wasting fertilize.

That is about as plain and simple as it gets. With improved bermudas, if you don't take care of them they will go to broomsedge bluestem.

this subject crossed my mind today. On very large ranches, what is done for fertility? There ain't no way they can lime or fertilize, right?

kickinbull":30tdp09j said:
this subject crossed my mind today. On very large ranches, what is done for fertility? There ain't no way they can lime or fertilize, right?

No they run a cow to every 10 to 50 acres depending on the range they have.

BC":epsmp9k0 said:
kickinbull":epsmp9k0 said:

No they run a cow to every 10 to 50 acres depending on the range they have.
Most of the areas where the "large ranches" are located in Texas don't need any added lime. I'm sure they fertilize areas they use for hay production but those thousands of acres for grazing are left to nature. Don't know if it's fact but have always heard that what little scattered grass there is in some of those areas is very nutritious and cattle maintain good body condition even with "slim pickins".

Response to fertilizer is an interesting thing. Among other things, it depends on:

type of grass
amount of legume in the mix
how you graze
how much you apply
how much it rains
temp of the soil

Value of fertilizer depends on what class of animal you graze, how well you utilize the forage, and what other feed options your have.

Usually fertilizer pays in the early spring, sometimes it pays in the fall, and the fertilizer value of the round bales you bought from the neighbor was $5 before the recent price increases.

If you can't afford to fertilize, look at a weed killer or prevention. You can grow 5 lbs of grass for every 1lb of weeds killed from the moisture and nutrients the weeds take from the soil.

this comes from the Noble Foundation.

Latest posts