Ferguson fiasco

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole thing has me confused. When we look at the Ferguson situation alone I'm sure there are 3 sides to the story (like everything else) the cops, the kids and the truth that probably is somewhere in the middle.

But when we look at the riots on a macro level doesn't it start to become a chicken and the egg discussion? The poor, black, young man can't get a job and has no future-kind of the standard rally cry. Well there are no jobs because there are no businesses there. There are no businesses there because they either A)can't find quality workers or B)can't get someone to work there for the price they are willing to pay.

Now a lot of us on here are business people/owners, either cattle or otherwise so maybe I'm preaching to the converted but I have a couple questions. If I am going to build a ____ business and I can either build in Ferguson that for the next generation is going to be saddled with this or Mayberry that has a squeaky clean reputation, why would I go to furguson? Even if I could get a good deal on land, building, tax breaks can you imagine trying to recruit employees to go there? Even if you could get a guy to sign on can you imagine what his wife would say when he comes home and says "Honey, good news, we're moving to Furguson, MO", my guess is it's going to be something like "Oh, hell no we're not".

I'm not sure if I remember the demographics exactly correct, but about 2/3 of the population is black, correct? Now let's assume that the business ownership is under represented by 50%, that still means that of the 12 businesses that were burned that 4 of them were owned by people of color. I understand people being mad, but nothing says I'm going to stick it to the man by burning down my own house. I know there are a lot of out of towners that are causing this problem, but are any of you all running to the St Louis subburgs to start a business, and is that the chicken or the egg?

I know one thing wherever papa johns get their windows from is where I want to start getting my windshields at.

HDRider":v9q4p16q said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDLpiEWlFZ0

Contains vulgar language and bad behavior

Thanks for the video. I knew it was bad up there, but I had no idea. I almost watched the news last night, and decided they'd probably only tell the side I didn't want to hear.

Looks like our promotion of tolerance has us tolerating quit a bit these days.

Drzr":2l5hvwuf said:
"a bunch of people who want to have something to be upset about" "those people" and on and on!!!

Is there an advantage of fertilized v non-fertilized hay?

YES...and many eggs would be much better left unfertilized. :shock: :shock:

I kinda wonder what those folk would have thought if a band of white marauders went through their neighborhoods looting and setting fire to their homes Monday night.

would anyone like to start a new business in ferguson? not likely, they have destroyed their on town. jobs, tax revenue it will be ghost town I just don't understand it

The local radio report said 24 businesses burned. More looted. Once that stuff started, they should have cleared the streets. Once a protest becomes looting and burning, it's over, go home or go to jail. The really sad part, Ferguson is not a ghetto. It's mostly working class, just happens to be majority black population. That's why there were so many businesses there in the first place. You don't find auto parts stores, mom and pop restaurants and the like in the "ghetto". But now a lot of people have lost their jobs, at least temporarily, and right before Christmas.

There were Ferguson residents who came out "the morning after" the first round of looting, and after this latest one, too, to help the store owners clean up and secure their premises. A CNN reporter talked to two young black 20-somethings who were standing in front of a small store to prevent looters Monday night. Was it their store? No, they were just from the immediate area and trying to help out. There are good people there, don't forget the media only wants to show us the most melodramatic and inflammatory parts of their footage.

A few jerkhole thugs instigated and did most of the damage. The protestors, in my humble opinion, were selfish, arrogant, self-indulgent, self-righteous twerps to hold the protests and provide convenient cover to enable the thugs. Like who didn't see that one coming??? But they have the constitutional right to do it if they so choose, so I'll respect that even while I question their judgement and their cause.

I think it was channel 5 in KC this morning reported one their reporters with their camera crew were threatened to be set on fire.

In KC there were protest the last two nights down at the Plaza. The police force was there and kept the walkers on the sidewalk. Four were taken in and booked for straying out into the street after being warned several times. But it was peaceful. The city even provided a bus ride for any walker who couldn't make back to the staging area.

KC has a black chief of police and mayor. They were pretty plain about not getting out of hand and they kept things under control so far.

Something else that made the KC protest go better, I think, was they MARCHED. They didn't just mill around. It gave purpose, burned off that angry energy, and bonus for them, exposed more people to their message. They marched for miles, then some older, or not fit people realized they were miles from their car and police gave rides back. That is about as good as you could hope for.

MO_cows":crqh21lk said:
Something else that made the KC protest go better, I think, was they MARCHED. They didn't just mill around. It gave purpose, burned off that angry energy, and bonus for them, exposed more people to their message. They marched for miles, then some older, or not fit people realized they were miles from their car and police gave rides back. That is about as good as you could hope for.
Nothing wrong with a peaceful protest. Looting, burning and damage are not protests in my opinion, they are breaking the law and should be held accountable. The step-father saying burn this _____ down should be held accountable for damages.

gimpyrancher":2lujhi61 said:
A grand jury is put together to decide if there is enough evidence to take it to trial. Courts and juries are for deciding fault and guilt. The prosecutor allowed over 50 people to testify but only a couple were actual, witnesses of the event. Grand Juries do not have defense attorneys present to question the actor/s,the witnesses or any of the evidence presented.

This was the first of it's kind in the country.
At that time there is NO need for a "defense attorney" as there is no defendant. The DA represents the people, not the accused. Should there have been a indictment THEN a defense attorney would have been needed.

tom4018":1n5186p7 said:
MO_cows":1n5186p7 said:
Nothing wrong with a peaceful protest. Looting, burning and damage are not protests in my opinion, they are breaking the law and should be held accountable. The step-father saying burn this _____ down should be held accountable for damages.

I've wondered about that. When this is all said and done, will there be an attempt to hold people accountable for these acts, or will the law just say, "Whew, we're glad that's over."

But my problem is that it wasn't like he was some honor roll student walking home from his 2nd job to earn money for college. He had just robbed a store and when confronted by the police to walk on the sidewalk he ignored the officer. Then when confronted with his robbery, he attacked the police officer and was killed. Excuse me but that is not someone I would be mourning! Heck a high school freshman was killed in Houma, LA by a police officer after brandishing a pellet gun at the officer and there is no nationwide uproar! Why you ask? The officer was black and so was the child! These days it is way more dangerous for the police than it ever was when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's! I wish the protesters would protest cleaning up their own communities, protest having babies with multiple fathers who never are around, protest living off welfare instead of showing the importance of having a job and earning your way in this world, protest not raising your children with any respect for authority, protest a complete lack of the importance of an education, protest against gangs, protest against drug use. Trust me that if they cleaned up those things, there would be no race issues.

TV networks pick and choose what to cover and they want the one with the most "potential" whether good or bad. It helps to have the Prez, the AG, NAACP and every other half ass organized black group pushing it. They will find the cameras.

A law enforcement agency near me is going to cameras so it does not have that he said she said stuff going on.

I watched MSNBC this morning and before getting sick to my stomach I took away that their opinion is its a sad day when an upstanding citizen can't rob a store or attack a police officer without getting shot to death. I am sure If Obama had a son I'm sure he would be just like this boy.

Do these people truly believe this nonsense?

You know, Obama is so concerned about leaving his mark on history and I'm afraid he really lost his chance. I had hoped he could set an example and heal some of these wounds. Demonstrate to the black community times have changed and we are Americans and are in this boat together. Freedom isn't cheap nor is it easy. It seems many want their freedom but no responsibility and they are caught up in this blame game and think others owe them something. Like a spoiled young'un. That's bullshyt. You make your own reality. If you choose to succeed no one is stopping you and it will require sacrifice. If you choose to be a victim then that's your problem. Freedom isn't easy and there are no guarantees other than if you choose to be a victim then you will always will be and you and your family will pay the price.

herofan":2eeo2yaf said:
tom4018":2eeo2yaf said:
MO_cows":2eeo2yaf said:

I've wondered about that. When this is all said and done, will there be an attempt to hold people accountable for these acts, or will the law just say, "Whew, we're glad that's over."
What's this word "accountable" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts